Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was considering investing in one of these, but would like to know more about them. Any feedback, or pro's-con's, What brands are there; recommended brands, ect. :baffled: Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Too expensive for me.

My manual tells me to never shift with the clutch even though I frequently do. When I do, I try and make it effortless, but I prefer the assistanceof a clutch.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
My manual tells me to never shift with the clutch even though I frequently do. When I do, I try and make it effortless, but I prefer the assistanceof a clutch.
What manual? That's a new one on me, the clutch prevents damage from a missed shift or something unexpected and eases the load on the drive train by absorbing any mismatch in engine and transmission rpms during the shift.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I want to say my small operator manual. I will check, but I saw it in writing somewhere.

Umm, maybe I mis-worded the statement..... never shift "without" using a clutch....clutch use to disengage load. Sometimes I speed shift, but I really prefer the clutch.

I believe that electric shifter does not use a clutch, and it would be difficult or take more coordination for the rider to do two things with his left hand.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I watched several of the videos showing that thing working. Sure were some rough shifts. That 1800 was jumping each gear change. I bet transmissions don't last long.:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I watched several of the videos showing that thing working. Sure were some rough shifts. That 1800 was jumping each gear change. I bet transmissions don't last long.:shock:
I sort of agree. When, I was young, the smaller bikes seemed like you could shift effortlessly all day long. Back then I use to watch the HDs, and even with the clutch, they had that thud clunk, but I associated that with them being big.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The electric shifters use an ignition interrupt to cut power at the moment the shift takes place to prevent damage. As for producing rough shifts that could be true but watching shifting on a center stand is no real test. Even careful manual shifts on the center stand look rough since the wheel has no load on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.