Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am resurrecting a 81 GL 1100i that sat for 5 years. The carbs and brakes are done and she is running great. My challenge is that the running lights do not come on when switched with the ignition key. They do come on when I jump the pins in the ignition pigtail (supply side). I replaced the ignition switch. The problem existed before and after switch replacement. Help please.

·
Administrator
25,717 Posts
Which wires are you jumping at the ignition switch? The 2nd to last fuse to the right in the fuse box only has power when you turn the switch to park.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,199 Posts
Roll the fuses around in their clamps, if that doesn't work check the ignition wires in the connector/holder behind the steering weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I found that some of my fuses looked intact, but did not have continuity when put on my ohm setting of the multimeter. I replaced them. Gauge lights work now. Running lights work now. Headlight is now dim, and my blinkers are blinking caddy corner. Right turn signal engages dash blinker on dash, right rear and front left turn markers. My headlights pulse with the blinker. This occurs when the bike is running and fully charged.

·
Administrator
25,717 Posts
Ok, I found that some of my fuses looked intact, but did not have continuity when put on my ohm setting of the multimeter. I replaced them. Gauge lights work now. Running lights work now. Headlight is now dim, and my blinkers are blinking caddy corner. Right turn signal engages dash blinker on dash, right rear and front left turn markers. My headlights pulse with the blinker. This occurs when the bike is running and fully charged.
Check the grounds, mainly the one on the front ignition coil bolt. And you may have the wires crossed to the front signals. Right side is the blue wire, left is orange.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DaveO430, ok this I really strange. The orange is on the correct side. Meaning left and right aren’t crossed. A closer look revealed that the pulsing of the headlights is really toggling between high and low beam of the headlight with diminished light for both.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just realized that my dash mounted voltmeter is reading 12v with the ignition switch in the accessory setting and then going to 8v with in the on position. Motor is running fine. The lights do not dim with more throttle. My system is charging and reads 14.75 on my voltmeter. This is while my dash is reading just over 8v.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked up what a modulator was. To my knowledge I do not have a modulator. The lights did not act this way previously.

·
Administrator
25,717 Posts
DaveO430, ok this I really strange. The orange is on the correct side. Meaning left and right aren’t crossed. A closer look revealed that the pulsing of the headlights is really toggling between high and low beam of the headlight with diminished light for both.
Have you checked the grounds yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I used test clips to jump the ground to the headlight to a good ground. Everything working normal. The best I can figure is that my headlight ground went and the headlight grounded itself thru the turn signal circuit.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,138 Posts
Ok, I used test clips to jump the ground to the headlight to a good ground. Everything working normal. The best I can figure is that my headlight ground went and the headlight grounded itself thru the turn signal circuit.
And maybe "Thanks, Dave?" Sheesh!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts