Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please. My 1981GL 1100-I now sits totally dead. Last week, I lost the recharging function of my electrical system. My LED lights turned off at 11:00 pm when voltage dropped too low. At first I thought stator was the issue and found a melted plug attachment. Tested stator and it looks healthy. Battery is fully charged. Followed red wire from stator to starter solenoid and found melted red wire. Vehicle would run and function normally to this point in time. Cleaned wires at solenoid and tested starter solenoid and functioning correctly. Installed solenoid and battery. Now I have nothing functioning at all. It behaves as if the battery is removed. Main ground tested and fine, red lead to main ignition switch tested and has continuity from solenoid. My gut tells me it is a ground issue, but I cannot locate. Oh and I did test all fuses. No power to fuse panel. Also dog bone fuse on solenoid tested and fine.

·
Administrator
27,927 Posts
Help please. My 1981GL 1100-I now sits totally dead. Last week, I lost the recharging function of my electrical system. My LED lights turned off at 11:00 pm when voltage dropped too low. At first I thought stator was the issue and found a melted plug attachment. Tested stator and it looks healthy. Battery is fully charged. Followed red wire from stator to starter solenoid and found melted red wire. Vehicle would run and function normally to this point in time. Cleaned wires at solenoid and tested starter solenoid and functioning correctly. Installed solenoid and battery. Now I have nothing functioning at all. It behaves as if the battery is removed. Main ground tested and fine, red lead to main ignition switch tested and has continuity from solenoid. My gut tells me it is a ground issue, but I cannot locate. Oh and I did test all fuses. No power to fuse panel. Also dog bone fuse on solenoid tested and fine.
Does that mean you replaced the solenoid or used the original? If you replaced it with an aftermarket IT IS WIRED WRONG.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does that mean you replaced the solenoid or used the original? If you replaced it with an aftermarket IT IS WIRED WRONG.
Yup, you are spot on. In this case I went back to OEM from aftermarket. The battery and motor terminals are reversed. Is anything else different? I am not able to tell correct orientation of the 4 lower gauged wiring from my books schematics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, you are spot on. In this case I went back to OEM from aftermarket. The battery and motor terminals are reversed. Is anything else different? I am not able to tell correct orientation of the 4 lower gauged wiring from my books schematics.

·
Administrator
27,927 Posts
Most of the time the spade connectors on top are different and the wiring has to be changed to match. The 2 with power go to the red & red/white wires, the other 2 don't matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts