Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Goldwings are heavy, electrical main stand would be good. Piaggio X9 scooter with the 500cc engine in Italy has an electrical main stand that you activate while sitting on the scooter.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

This would be good, I can do it now, just, but I shouldn't have to struggle at my age!!

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Yes Bert, I just recently sold an X9 which had the electric foot. The thing is, I didn't feel it was needed on a 500cc scooter as it was easy enough to pull up. But the Goldwing could well do with it. The X9 had other goodies as standard too, like built-in intercom/radio and helmet headsets. Just a pity the build quality is poor, the headsets never really worked all that well on mine and the electric footcrippled itself twice. Good intentions, bad build quality so it's back to a Japanese scooter for me in January. :waving:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
The X9 had other goodies as standard too, Good intentions, bad build quality so it's back to a Japanese scooter for me in January. :waving:
Now the bloody wingnut is going back to a scooter in January. :crying:Thats the end of the :18red: :crying: If he said he would go back to a Honda50, that would make some sense. :3sum:

:santahat::18red::santahat:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

The BMW K1200LT has one so why not the Goldwing. Here's little demo video from their site. Electro-Hydraulic Stand Demo

John

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

I suppose bmw have to put something on the k1200lt to help sell them. :doh:

:santahat::18red::santahat:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

It would, of course, need a safety switch to prevent an accidental deployment while riding.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
It would, of course, need a safety switch to prevent an accidental deployment while riding.

Good point. It appears to come down with big force. Would it wear off fast enough to save you???

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure about the Beemer stand, but the Piaggio one is designed like a normal stand, ie the spring keeps the stand in the up position. Even if the hydraulic ram (which operates the stand via a switch and solenoid) fails, the stand will stay in the up position and you can use it the old fashioned way- ie with your foot.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I recall reading that the BMW has a safety switch that will not allow the stand to go down while moving. I don't know if it can be operated manually or not. If they put something like this on the Goldwing, it would be nice if it could be operated manually as well.

John

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I recall reading that the BMW has a safety switch that will not allow the stand to go down while moving. I don't know if it can be operated manually or not. If they put something like this on the Goldwing, it would be nice if it could be operated manually as well.

John
I would think that pnuematic with alock out might work...

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

There is at least one aftermarket product that does this. I think it is called Landing Gear. I have only seen it once. An older rider had it on his wing at the local mall bike show. When the bike is stopped or at extremely slow (sub-parking lot speeds) two arms with wheels on them descend from the side bags and keep the bike upright. Main downside is that it takes up most of the side bags.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

ringo00 wrote:
There is at least one aftermarket product that does this. I think it is called Landing Gear. I have only seen it once.
Hey ringo00:waving: Welcome to the Best Goldwing Forum on the net. The Landing gear can be seen at [url]http://www.winglandinggear.com/[/url] :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

Thanks Redwing,

That is close to what I have seen, but the guy I saw had modified his to actually fit into the bags and be invisible when not in use.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

An electric centre stand would certainly be appreciated by me. I am basically of the road for the next 3 weeks as I have an injured leg (which I injured putting my bike on the centre stand) and am unable to put the bike on the centre stand

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
An electric centre stand would certainly be appreciated by me. I am basically of the road for the next 3 weeks as I have an injured leg (which I injured putting my bike on the centre stand) and am unable to put the bike on the centre stand

Andrew
Boy...Andrew, do I ever agree with you. This past weekend I was out in front of a restaurant with slightly uneven ground off Pacific Coast Hwy. with sand, dirt and gravel and I was finding it hard to engage the center stand. Using my legs instead of my back, the center stand finally engaged, at the expense of tearing the calf muscle of my right leg. I actually felt the muscle rip, something like a rubber band. The electrical shock just about sent me to the ground. It's day three now and I'm still walking with a huge limp. All of this because I wouldn't let the Mexican Valet park my Goldwing in his pavement parking lot.

Kurt:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
imported post

Mr.RedWinger wrote:
I have just the opposite problem..My center stand deploys with out warning when I pass by the local beach on a sunny day,while looking a these gals young enough to get me 20 years for what I'm thinking..:goofygrin:

Ohhhh ,And my center stand is definitely Hydraulic too.:cheeky1:
Oh, Mr. RedWinger, we're discussing center stands on our motorcycles, not your personal "after market" equipment.:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:Dthe electric -hydro stand on the bmw k1200lt is outstanding, and makes life a great deal easier, as we all get older,you just sit astide it 2up, fully loaded,press the button, and up she goes, nice and slowly onto the stand. it would be a great asset to the wing,and in my view would make it more attractive to future buyers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.