Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I can't tell from looking at the picture but the bike looks like motor is used for strictly providing drive to the wheel. With the proper electronics and a charge controller he could recover some of the power while braking or going down hill and extend the maximum distance by quite a bit.

I give him props for what he has done so far, with a little bit of work he could get it to go a lot further.

Henry

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Dang it I hate it when one favorite activity interferes with another. When I'm drinking I'm not riding and when riding I'm not drinking. O-well its better than way.

Considering the size of that tank I bet you could get a couple of Growlers in there!!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I suspect that the electric motorcycle maker that's going to get the money is Brammo
Another one I saw at the international motorcycle show was Zero. They had a range of both on road and off road bikes. Nothing large like a cruiser, but considering the average range is <150 miles per charge that is understandable.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Paul you are right, when the battery/supercapacitor/superconducting ring storage technology gets to the point where we can go 300-400 miles on a charge and it take 5 minutes to recharge then electric cars will push gasoline ones to the side of the road.

I suspect there will always be a need for some form of fuel powered vehicle. Especially in very remote areas where there are no power lines going to.

I wouldn't mind an electric bike/car for around town use if I could get one for the same price as a gas powered one.

One issue that will have to be addressed is how the state gets it road use tax money. Currently that comes from gas/diesel taxes. I get the feeling they will tack it onto the yearly renewal fee's if you use an all electric vehicle.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Possibly a reader that reads your information like the ones that read the HOV passes and then charge you for the times you drive in the HOV lanes.

The problem with that is it would record your date time and what reader you passed. Some people might have a problem with that including those who are stepping out on their spouses or employees that are using a company vehicle for other than business purposes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.