Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
A bit of body work would do wonders for the looks of the bike. Wonder what the range is?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
A bit of body work would do wonders for the looks of the bike. Wonder what the range is?
I agree,if he stretched it out a bit and did some custom tupperware to hide the batteries I would give it a whirl.

Imagine the instant thrust from the electric motor,they do not have to build power..goes from zero to HOLY CRAP in an instant.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
the fellow may be on the cutting edge and getting rich .

this from ABC NEWS : "
  • $4 million for electric motorcycle makers by expanding an existing green-energy tax credit for buyers of plug-in vehicles to include electric motorbikes.
*Note the price tags above reflect estimated forgone tax revenue if current credits – which have been due to expire – are extended for one year as included in the Senate bill, per Joint Committee on Taxation.
Read the entire Senate bill as passed. "

LOL
I suspect that the electric motorcycle maker that's going to get the money is Brammo who makes bikes near hear. They got started on their own but I don't think they are doing very well. So naturally the government would give them tax break or cash so they can go bankrupt just like Solara. What is odd to me that the Brammo electric has a six speed gear box. Seems kinda odd for an electric a bit more engineering and you'd have an automatic and a lot less weight. I always thought if you had an electric motorcycle or car the ideal thing would be to have a motor at each wheel or in the hub. That would provide power steering, electronic regenerative braking, and four or two wheel drive with traction control and ABS without all the mechanical stuff.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I suspect that the electric motorcycle maker that's going to get the money is Brammo who makes bikes near hear. They got started on their own but I don't think they are doing very well. So naturally the government would give them tax break or cash so they can go bankrupt just like Solara. What is odd to me that the Brammo electric has a six speed gear box............
I had a test ride one last summer and my opinion is.........WOW! Handled well, went from zero to pulling my arms from my shoulders in a few seconds. Felt a tad heavy at first, but I got used to it.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I suspect that the electric motorcycle maker that's going to get the money is Brammo
Another one I saw at the international motorcycle show was Zero. They had a range of both on road and off road bikes. Nothing large like a cruiser, but considering the average range is <150 miles per charge that is understandable.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
There's no doubt that electric vehicle power has possibility but I don't think it's time has come because though batteries are getting a lot better there just isn't any out there that can contain the power of a 15 gallon tank of gas, be as light as that 15 gallon tank of gas or be refilled as fast. A gasoline/electric or diesel/electric where the engine drove an alternator to feed four wheel mounted electric motors with no need for drive lines, u-joints, CV-joints or transmission would seem to the the best way to go. Ships and locomotives have been doing that for a long time. It seems cars and bikes ought to be able to do it. A hybrid with small batteries to take up acceleration loads the switching back to full engine/generator operation would allow a small engine running at it's most efficient speed and direct at the wheel drive motors might be a good way to go but the current technology just doesn't quite seem to be there yet.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
There's no doubt that electric vehicle power has possibility ... Ships and locomotives have been doing that for a long time. .... but the current technology just doesn't quite seem to be there yet.
Oh it's there already. It would work in our cars/trucks/bikes if we accept the snails pace acceleration of ships and locomotives.
;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Performance with electric power isn't a problem, it's the problem of battery technology that's the problem. There have been some very fast electrical vehicles the Tesla with a 3.7 second 0-60mph ain't no slouch. If there were batteries of sufficient capacity with rapid chargeability at a reasonable price, size and weight electric cars would be the only sensible way to go. Unfortunately the number of kilowatts per pound in a gas tank is much higher than that of the best batteries.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. If the batteries were covered up, it might be a pretty cool bike.

My commute is 8 miles each way. It seems to be that it wouldn't take much storage capacity for me to ride an electric bike back and forth to work.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Paul you are right, when the battery/supercapacitor/superconducting ring storage technology gets to the point where we can go 300-400 miles on a charge and it take 5 minutes to recharge then electric cars will push gasoline ones to the side of the road.

I suspect there will always be a need for some form of fuel powered vehicle. Especially in very remote areas where there are no power lines going to.

I wouldn't mind an electric bike/car for around town use if I could get one for the same price as a gas powered one.

One issue that will have to be addressed is how the state gets it road use tax money. Currently that comes from gas/diesel taxes. I get the feeling they will tack it onto the yearly renewal fee's if you use an all electric vehicle.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
One issue that will have to be addressed is how the state gets it road use tax money. Currently that comes from gas/diesel taxes. I get the feeling they will tack it onto the yearly renewal fee's if you use an all electric vehicle.
My guess is some kind of GPS tracking and a charge-per-mile. With the current emphasis on high MPG vehicles the feds and states are already losing highway funds as more MPG = less gas purchased = less highway dollars.
The GPS idea has been floated, and Missouri has already passed a law barring the tracking of vehicles by GPS. The feds could override that, as federal law trumps state law. Problem is that if they can track your mileage with GPS they can track where you go and charge depending on where you drove - bigger charge for a crowded city, driving at different times of day, automatic tickets for speeding, etc.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
The state of Oregon is already diddling around with the problem of dealing with the low gasoline and diesel use of current and upcoming high mileage and electric vehicles. The current problem seems to be that they're considering a gps tracking device in each car but there'll be a lot of difficulties trying to get the public to accept tracking of everywhere they go by a governmental agency. I suspect the end result may be some sort of wireless device that would be on a gas station pump that links with the car and records mileage each time you fill up and feeds it to a data base. No matter how they do it there'll be a pretty hot public fight over in in the state house.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
lars has been talking about this... I agree that there are simpler ways... Tax papers, primarily. Report your mileage at so much a mile...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Yeah, I'll be everyone will be real accurate at doing that. The only real accurate way to do that would be to have DMV read your odomete every time you renew your registration. I doubt the state would want to wait two years for that information and money. In fact I think yearly payments would really be a shock to those folks that don't make enough to pay income tax or are on welfare. There'd have to be an ongoing way to pay each time you fill up to prevent hardships on the folks who don't manage their money well.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Possibly a reader that reads your information like the ones that read the HOV passes and then charge you for the times you drive in the HOV lanes.

The problem with that is it would record your date time and what reader you passed. Some people might have a problem with that including those who are stepping out on their spouses or employees that are using a company vehicle for other than business purposes.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.