1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys,

The PO fitted a voltmeter to the bike.

Now the problem....... The voltmeter wires are pretty hefty buggers and about 9 inches long, but he spliced them into the side-light wiring which is really thin.

Some time in the past i seem to remember that you should splice into wires of the same type (something to do with resistence) otherwise you'll get false readings.

If it had been the other way round the wires could cook (This is what i have always done in the past).

Is this right ? Which part of the wiring loom would best to splice into ?

I've only had the bike a month so i'm not yet 100% savvy on it, but also not scared; I've been "doing" bikes for 30 years, just Goldwings for the last 15 (GL1100's).

It's sickening that Honda don't do a color schematic. I really miss that.

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The voltmeter draws so little current that it wouldn't matter what the wire gauge was.
Usually you don't try for absolute values on a voltmeter anyway. What you really want to know is what is normal for a specific system and then monitor over time from there.
The best place is direct to the battery through a fuse and relay but if the circuit it's attached to is a fairly constant load, it won't matter much where you attach it.
Now turn signals and brake lines are not examples of constant loads but running lights are, for example.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Rudy is correct. An ammeter would need the right wiring, but a volt meter is much easier to work with.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

They are both correct as a Voltmeter measures "Pressure" and an Ammeter measures "Flow".

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Voltmeters dont usually come with " hefty " wiring .
Be sure the po didnt install a amp. meter instead.???

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

machinehead wrote:
Voltmeters dont usually come with " hefty " wiring .
Be sure the po didnt install a amp. meter instead.???
I meant "hefty" in relation to the wiring it was spliced to.

Okay guys, thanks for the info. I can work with this.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

I agree..voltmeter should in my opinion should be battery direct. Im installing one myself with switch, relay and fuse. I can't imagine why one would tap into just any old wire unless they just lazy or uneducated which means you probably shouldn't be working on it in either case on my opinion. I have a voltage gauge on bike anyway, but I figure it can't hurt to have anothert just to compare with right from battery side. I have fixed so much stuff on bikes, cars, ect from prior "repairs" its not funny. I just don't understand how people can do these hack'em up jobs and be ok with it. The repairs on my GW have been steady, because I'm kinda nutty about just doing the job right in the first place. Its taking me a bit, but I've had to fix all the wiring, and replace most of the nuts and bolts on her because so many were wrong or broke. I've came to call her Humpty Dumpty because of it. But Alas, im seeing a bright future for her as she's starting to look like she should, complete like the day she came from the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.