Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When my 1500 is running even for about 10 mins the electrical power cuts completly and leaves the whole bike completly dead..when Leave it for about an hour power comes back on .. but when I start it again the power goes again... any ideas of what could be wrong..???

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

You don't say what year your bike is, but it sounds like the tilt sensor going bad.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Ted

The year is 1997.. and I dont think that it is the Tilt Sensor because I am told that with the Tilt Sensor the dash lights remain on and tou just have to turn the ignition off an on to start... In this case I loose all electrial power.. everything goes dead no dash lights.. nothing..has me baffled..

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

[align=left]I had the same problem with my GL1200. I don't know
anything about a '97 1500, but with my bike it was two wires touching
on top of the main fuse box and causing a short. I separated the wires
and insulated them and problem solved.
[/align]

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for that ..I will have a look..

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The tilt sensor is under the rear of the saddle on the right side. Unscrew it and shake it, if it rattles then the fluid inside is dried up and the sensor will need replacing.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the main fuse, which when it gets warm distorts and breaks the circuit. Allowing it to cool down completes the circuit again.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

I once had a similiar problem on my 89 gl1500. It was an intermittent fault that drove me nuts, with power failure happening every now and again. I eventually traced the fault to a bad connection at the multi plug behind the L.H.S cooling fan housing. the connection in question was the main ignition switch wire. This caused a high resistance fault which would open circuit after running the bike for a while. When the bike cooled down the circuit would make again. Good luck with the problem.

Joe

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

First I'd take a good look at the main fuse and holder, check that everything around that area looks okay and well plugged in. The main fuse can provide some interesting symptoms. In extremis you might try a heat gun. Turn on the lights with the seat and top cover off and hit some of the connectors and components with a heat gun, not too hot, the bike can't get all that hot in ten minutes. I'd still bet it's somewhere around the main fuse or relay.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Guys....:clapper:

I think that our resident mechanic has solved the problem... It seems that the connection block that is deep behiend the front faring in which it has the ignition wire's has some corrosion on it and was overheating due to bad connection... when he moved it the ignition came back on... He should have it back up and running tomorrow night..

Thanks again for your input..:D

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

having same problem with my `95 aspy Thinking it is the switch. It looks hard to get to just to check any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
imported post

Wickla wrote:
Thanks Guys....:clapper:

I think that our resident mechanic has solved the problem... It seems that the connection block that is deep behiend the front faring in which it has the ignition wire's has some corrosion on it and was overheating due to bad connection... when he moved it the ignition came back on... He should have it back up and running tomorrow night..

Thanks again for your input..:D
Sounds like it is possibly the C57 "9-pin red connector" located on top of the right radiator cooling fan shroud.

The #6 ignition/cruise relay feeds voltage to that connector and voltage continues on to the engine shut-off switch (kill switch) and the starter/reverse switch. Access to that connector requires removal of the right lower fairing and the right radiator cooling fan.

About 6 months ago I helped troubleshoot a problem where the bike would not start.

There was a broken wire between the 9-pin red connector and the engine shut-off switch (kill switch).

DB

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Don't know if this will help, but my dad has a 1200 and had the same problem. I fianally took the main fuse out and found it was corroded under the screws. So I cleaned it and put it back in. That's been 6 months ago and he's not had it die on him since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.