I have no idea how that thing works even though I have seen it
The Bike is a 2013 F6B
So much help is needed and will be muchly appreciated
Remember I'm a dummy so all the pictures and drawings will a great help
Thanks heaps

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
You may need to adjust the rear brake switch. 2 screws hold the switch assembly to the master cylinder, the holes are slotted. Loosen the screws and move the assy up slightly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It turns out their is no power to the Brake light switch
Cut the wires
Put the tester on and nothing?????????
Ahhh but brake light still on

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Re you sure you are looking at the right switch? Should be a white/green wire & a green/yellow wire on the front brake & a blue/red & green/ white on the rear brake switch.

·
Premium Member
6,357 Posts
I wonder if the stop light relay has failed. The switch just trigger the relay. The load is carried by the point set in the relaY,

The power to the point set in the relay is always hot. The power to the trigger (switches) is only hot with the key on. So in a nutshell you can have brake lights illuminated all the time. At the same time you can have NO power to the switches. The switches drive the relays. Not like the old days when the switches controlled the lights directly.
Flip, flop the brake light relay with another relay and see what happens. Bet when you transfer the relay you transfer the problem as the brake light relay is bad????? :)

EDIT:Also bet you had the ignition off when you had no power at the switches. Turn on the ignition to get power to the switches.

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Certainly
I can't believe you cut those wires. If you are checking those in the picture of course they have no power.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
So why are they their?????
Those wires dead end at the switch, it's the other end of the wires you cut those off of you need to test.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanyou for that
So how do the wires to the rear brake switch get power
Because if I can get power to the switch it may help me solve why the brake lights are fixed on?

·
Registered
744 Posts
You aren't supposed to be able to, but is it possible the bulb is pushed into the socket 180 degrees out? The brake filament would be powered by the running light circuit, and if there was power to the brake light it would be lighting the running light filament and you wouldn't see it...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The globes havnt been changed so they were good before the trouble happened but ill check them tomorrow
And thanks

·
Premium Member
6,357 Posts
Thanyou for that
Because if I can get power to the switch it may help me solve why the brake lights are fixed on?
Terry,
Did you read my post #6? There are 2 circuits that are needed to turn your brake lights on.
One circuit triggers the brake light relay. That power comes from ignition switch and goes to the brake switches. Even if the lights are stuck on, there will be no power at the switches UNLESS you turn on the ignition switch. Of course you have to test for voltage at the ends of the wires that come from the bike. Not the switch.Or check all 4 ends.
The second circuit that is needed to turn on the brake lights is the one I think is giving you grief. It is a circuit that actually carries the power (load) to the brake lights. That circuit is hot all the time, thus the issue with the light staying on all the time. The power goes through, in your case, a defective relay. That defective relay is stuck on so there is power all the time. Not just when the trigger turns it on.
Here is what I would do. Find the brake light relay in the relay/fuse box and replace it. If/when the lights go out fix the wires you cut. Check to be sure the brake lights work correctly. Take the bike for a long relaxing ride. :)

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
You aren't supposed to be able to, but is it possible the bulb is pushed into the socket 180 degrees out? The brake filament would be powered by the running light circuit, and if there was power to the brake light it would be lighting the running light filament and you wouldn't see it...
You can't do that, it has push in bulbs that go either way.

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Thanyou for that
If they didn't go off when you cut the wires it's not the switch anyway.
Do you by chance have a trailer light isolater? If so pull the fuse to it, would be an inline fuse in a wire coming off the + battery post. Otherwise it's probably the brake light relay as mentioned.

·
Premium Member
6,357 Posts
If they didn't go off when you cut the wires it's not the switch anyway.
Do you by chance have a trailer light isolater? If so pull the fuse to it, would be an inline fuse in a wire coming off the + battery post. Otherwise it's probably the brake light relay as mentioned.
Dave,
Why not pull the relay and see if the lights go out. I do not have a manual for a bike near that new and I know from previous times that Honda moved some of the relays around. Can you point him at the correct one. :)

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Here is a picture of the relays and what they are for. This is from a 94 manual but I have a 2000 manual and it is the exact same. Relay #2 is for the stop lights. I would swap it with the #5 relay which is for the air pump.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts