Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
25,569 Posts
Here is a picture of the relays and what they are for. This is from a 94 manual but I have a 2000 manual and it is the exact same. Relay #2 is for the stop lights. I would swap it with the #5 relay which is for the air pump.
Except it is a 2013 F6B, not a 1500. The relays are labeled on the top of the relay box under the seat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sad thing is their is no relay box under the seat
Just a long black box that inside has 2 rows of large maybe 2" long male and female connections
And further to the rear a box that has the radio amplifier in it
Been making phone calls and searching the internet for 2 days trying to find out where the relays are????

·
Administrator
25,569 Posts
Sad thing is their is no relay box under the seat
Just a long black box that inside has 2 rows of large maybe 2" long male and female connections
That is the relay box. Take out the 2 screws, raise the box up and press the tabs on the side to slide the relays out of it. If no markings on it and things are not much different than a goldwing the brake light relay is the third from the right on the front row.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mate ever been called a Genius
A bloody legend
Well now here in the land down under you are?
Butttttttttttttt
So off the seat it goes
The couple of screws out
the buttons pushed in an Wallaaaah
RELAYS
So I figures out the second???? from the right is the bake and out it comes
No Brakes??
So I puts a different one in and?????????
And the brake lights on again?????????
Soooooooooo
I figures out its not the relay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Just to be sure, because it makes a lot of difference, when the key is on you have the issue with the brake lights being on all the time. If you turn the key off the brake lights go off with the key. CORRECT???? That makes a lot of difference from what I was thinking if that is the case.

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Mate ever been called a Genius
A bloody legend
Well now here in the land down under you are?
Butttttttttttttt
So off the seat it goes
The couple of screws out
the buttons pushed in an Wallaaaah
RELAYS
So I figures out the second???? from the right is the bake and out it comes
No Brakes??
So I puts a different one in and?????????
And the brake lights on again?????????
Soooooooooo
I figures out its not the relay
You said you pulled out the second relay but if you read Daves post #23 you will see he said the brake light relay is the third from the right on the front row.
Then to make it more confusing mine says 2 from the left. See below. Maybe try flip flop all 3 combinations just to be sure. You might have pulled the wrong one. Dave might be wrong. I might be wrong or we all might be wrong. :) It only takes a few minutes. Just be sure you replace with the same kind of relay. There are 2 types in the box. Most have 4 tabs but 3 or 4 have 5 tabs.

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,569 Posts
You said you pulled out the second relay but if you read Daves post #23 you will see he said the brake light relay is the third from the right on the front row.
I could be wrong, I am using an earlier 1800 manual hoping they didn't change the relay box. I guess they stopped labeling them too.

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Found picture on internet but it does not mention the year.
If he pulled the third relay from right by mistake that is the accessory relay. That would maybe turn off the brake lights but lots of other things as well/ Added to the confusion.
Terry, Try to flip flop the relay indicated in the pictures and see what happens. :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,569 Posts
Found picture on internet but it does not mention the year. There might be two relays? One for the switch (trigger power) and one for load. The one you mentioned seemss to say something about stop lights as well.
That appears to be the 01-05 relay box. 06-10 is considerably different and his being an F6B which doesn't have a lot of things a wing has my be different yet, I have no info on it.
The power to the switches goes through the horn/turn relay so if the horn and turn signals work it should be good. The stop light relay is the only one that could cause the lights to stay on.

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
That appears to be the 01-05 relay box. 06-10 is considerably different and his being an F6B which doesn't have a lot of things a wing has my be different yet, I have no info on it.
The power to the switches goes through the horn/turn relay so if the horn and turn signals work it should be good. The stop light relay is the only one that could cause the lights to stay on.
YUP :ROFL:

·
Administrator
25,569 Posts
What color wires go to that relay? Doesn't look right to me.

·
Administrator
25,569 Posts
That appears to be the tail light relay except the blue wire is extra. It is a double pole relay so that explains the 5th wire but I don't know what it's for. I'm thinking the tail light wire is shorted to the brake light circuit somewhere, may be in one of the bulb sockets.

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Mate
Black / Green / White-Yellow /Brown-White / Blue
Terry,
I agree with Dave. If there are 5 wires that is a double pole relay. The brake relay has 3 terminals I believe. There are several relays that will disable the brake lights. The accessory relay will turn them off as well as the horn turn relay. Maybe even a third.
If you find the middle row second from the left does not do the trick try this. take any 2 relays and call them 1 and 2. Flip flop them and see if the issue goes away. If not go to 3 and 4. Flip, flop and check. 5 and 6 flip, flop. etc. That way you will cover all the bases. Of course you have to make sure you replace a 4 terminal with a 4 terminal and 5 terminal with a 5 terminal. You should see all but 5 or 6 are 4 terminal.
When you flip flop the right one (defective one) you will have good brake lights but the problem will be moved somewhere else. You will have to buy one relay to replace the bad one of course. Sounds worse than it is. Probably flip flop all oof them in less time than it took me to type this. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
That appears to be the tail light relay except the blue wire is extra. It is a double pole relay so that explains the 5th wire but I don't know what it's for. I'm thinking the tail light wire is shorted to the brake light circuit somewhere, may be in one of the bulb sockets.
Was typing while Dave was posting.
Dave, it could be a bulb the failed and the filament burned apart and touched the brake filament. I have seen that several times before as I know you have also. Pull out alll the brake light one at a time. If the issue goes away that bulb is the bad one If the issue stays go to the next bulb and unplug and replug antil you find the bad one. When/if you find the right one look inside. You will see where the failed filament is touching the wrong place.

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Mate
Black / Green / White-Yellow /Brown-White / Blue
Terry,
You list the blue wire as being associated with the relay you put the dot on. That is not the case. The blue wire goes to the next relay.
It should read Black / Green / White-Yellow /Brown-White and that is the tail light relay. If the tail light relay turns the brake lights off and on the most common issue is a bad light bulb that has failed and the burned off filament is touching the other filament. Check akk the bulbs that light when the brake light is lit. Check the high rise as well if you have that option.
Below is a schematic that shows the colors of the tail relay. Same as you listed minus the errant blue.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Correct no Blue Wire

So removed a faulty Globe that stopped the taillight
Now no brake lights no Taillight
Bike wont turn off using the key ?
Turns of using Kill Switch
But Dash wont turn off
Also Side stand switch now doesn't work
Can put bike in gear while side stand is down
Not bad for a bike that only has 45000 Kays / 27000 miles on the clock?????

21 - 40 of 49 Posts