Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok, when I bought my 84 Aspy, the previous owner had sored it in a barn with lots of cats living inside. I had cleaned it up a couple of times but there always seemed to be cat hair working its way out of everywhere. Anyway, long story short. I had it detailed to get rid of the hair once and for all and when I rode it home, I had no turn signals. I quickly found the blown fuse, but now can't find what is causing it to blow. Bulbs are good, no obvious shorts or anything.Can anyone give me a place tolook? Is there a"commom"issue that might casue this? When I replace the fuses, the left side works fine, but it's the right that has issues. After a few seconds of trying to work, the fuse goes out.

Any suggestionsor tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

pull your left (as you are sitting on the bike) turn signal off & look into the hole at all the wiring in there. You might find a mouse nest with a bunch of chewed wires!:shock:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

clean the turnsignal switch first

then pull the seat and disconnect the rear light and turn signal connectors

try it and if it blows,swap the hazard and turn signal relays

if it doesn't blow you have a bad flasher

if it blows the problem is in the front area,if it does't reconnect the rear turnsignal connector and see what happens

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Check all grounds too.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Success! Sort of. I found the problem after disconnecting things and working my way back. The bike has a "wig wag" flasher for breaking and I think that's the culprit. Process of elimination took me to an add on wire that disappears into the trunk electronics. I had that apart yesterday and saw nothing obvious, but by disconnecting the add-on wire, my turn signals and break lights work fine. Not fully fixed, but at least I can ride!

Thanks for all the help, guys. You're the best!

Mike

·
Radionut
18 Posts
imported post

When people add accessories with extra wires they use plastic ty-wraps and strap them to the frame to keep them in place, they over tighten the ty-wrap causing the insulation on the wire to flatten against the frame. Over time the conductors will be forced through the insulation causing an eventual short. look for exposed wires under a ty-wrap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.