Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've had a freak issue with my headlight for a couple of weeks. Turn on the ignition and the high beam indicator is on even though the switch is on low beam and the headlight will not come on.

First time it happened, for some reason I just thought "beep the horn" and that worked. HP indicator went off and headlight came on. It's done this a couple of more times and the horn beeping now has no effect. It will typically go away in a few minutes but today it stayed in this state all the way to work.

Headlight does not flicker and there doesn't appear to be any loose wiring in and around that area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

You got a bad ground somewhere. Check the headlamp control switch on the left grip and the starter button on the right one.

You may also need to open up the control/indicator panel and you might find visitors (ants, wasps, spiders) have found a place to set up a home that has crossed some circuits with less than optimum conductive material.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Given the nature of the fault and the fact that pushing the horn button did anything, you may wanna pop off the left hand controls and have a look, sounds like something's funny in there. Failing that, trace that wire back and look for some kind of damage. It just seems from what you described that the fault will have something to do with that set of controls.

·
Administrator
26,333 Posts
imported post

Yes you have a bad ground. The low beam is trying to find ground through the high beam so that is making the indicator light. Check the fairing connector. I doubt the horn had anything to do with the light coming on except maybe vibrating the offending connection.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am NOT very good with wiring and don't have a schematic. Are you talking about the bundle that comes into the fairing on the left side? Where would I look to find the actuall ground?

·
Administrator
26,333 Posts
imported post

SMC wrote:
I am NOT very good with wiring and don't have a schematic. Are you talking about the bundle that comes into the fairing on the left side? Where would I look to find the actuall ground?
Yes, the ground is a green wire. If I remember correctly on my 83I the green wire was separate and was bolted to the frame somewhere under the false tank, I could be wrong on that though. It could also be in the connection behind the fork weight below the instruments. Wiggle the actual connector on the fairing to see if it makes the light come on. If not then pull the headlight and check the connection there.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

Two other things to check on the 1100 are the start Button may have just enough of a bad contact to stop headlamp from comming on and also check clutch safety switch at clutch lever

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

Two other things to check on the 1100 are the start Button may have just enough of a bad contact to stop headlamp from comming on and also check clutch safety switch at clutch lever

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
imported post

You might also want to check the connections and connector at the rear of the headlight itself. If the the hot wire to the low beam is loose it may bring on the high-beam indicator. At least it did on my 1200... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

My Dad always said start at the beginning, check the most obvious and work your way back from there.

I pulled the headlight, used a test light and concluded all I needed was A NEW BULB.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi SMC, good ya' mate for your conclusion and honesty, but...(and I only say "but" quietly), it would probably be worth checking the ground ("earth" wire(s) usually all green) around that area and clean up if they look a little suspect. Did you check the continuity of your bulb with a meter? (as in, is it definately "blown")..something may have caused the filament to blow such as a "dodgy" connection\connector somewhere which may happen again if you don't find perhaps the real reason.For my far too many years with wiring/voltage etc., there is usually a specific reason for these things to happen, just finding the reason tho is sometimes a real ****** !! :? Just my thoughts dude.....RIDE ON...!!!!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

groutby wrote:
Hi SMC, good ya' mate for your conclusion and honesty, but...(and I only say "but" quietly), it would probably be worth checking the ground ("earth" wire(s) usually all green) around that area and clean up if they look a little suspect. Did you check the continuity of your bulb with a meter? (as in, is it definately "blown")..something may have caused the filament to blow such as a "dodgy" connectionconnector somewhere which may happen again if you don't find perhaps the real reason.For my far too many years with wiring/voltage etc., there is usually a specific reason for these things to happen, just finding the reason tho is sometimes a real ****** !! :? Just my thoughts dude.....RIDE ON...!!!!
I can't say 100% that there isn't anything else going on but i did check the grounds and even took the switch apart just for the hell of it. After replacing the bulb, I called my Dad (he bought the bike new in 82) and he said he'd only replaced that bulb once. Everything else is working perfectly so I'm pretty confident that the problem has been corrected.

I get what you mean though so we'll just have to wait and see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.