Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so in the process of chasing down the fan issue and resolving the issue, also hard wiring the stator to temporarily resolve the charging issue till alternator conversion I came across the accessory nightmare in the faring.

WOW is all I can say! All lighter plugs were running positive to both POS and NEG, NEG was just a wire tide up as a "what is that wire". and all connections are ethicnic engineered to begin with.

Does anybody ever think that someone that knows how to trace things might look at it 20 years later? And I was just looking through it cause it looked bad on the outside... lol

I have hazzards, but no turns and have not chased that down. I suspect the switches as once getting the stator hooked up, I checked all lights including plugging in the head light fuse which worked, though running it from high beam to low it would light or not on the switch between them. So as I have said I feel the switches need work.

Another issue not electrical related though was found through checking lights, one of the calipers is hanging after using the foot pedal as hand break does not light break lights but foot pedal does. Now have hanging break. lol projest for the winter and am happy I have it to work through.

·
Administrator
27,939 Posts
Is there a question? If so we need to know what you are working on.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The forum crystal ball is out on lone :shock: so as Dave said we need more information.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
I got something about 20 years later out of that, so I can only guess he's working on a 1500 or older, shame really, 'cos I can usually help people with electrical problems! Anyway welcome to the forum Mancrypt. But if you need some help you'll need to be as descriptive as you possibly can, including year model!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I got something about 20 years later out of that, so I can only guess he's working on a 1500 or older, shame really, 'cos I can usually help people with electrical problems! Anyway welcome to the forum Mancrypt. But if you need some help you'll need to be as descriptive as you possibly can, including year model!
From his profile it's likely his !984 interstate but until he updates his post we'll only be guessing.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Unfortunately that's a common problem. On just about every airplane, boat, bike or automobile I've owned has come with obvious work done by someone who really didn't know what they were doing. It's a fact of life. My usual response is to rip out all the old crap and start over. Whenever I added an aftermarket electrical gizmo to a machine I marked the wires with some form of permanent mark that identified it. That way a new owner wouldn't find a bunch of mysterious wires running all over. I also added wiring properly with wiring of a similar type properly routed and secured so it looked professional. Kind of a left over habit of having been an electronic tech.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Sounds like a typical 'period' 1200. Sure is nice on the rare occasions when I see one that hasn't been messed with...what a pleasure to work on.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Welcome to the forum mancrypt. You have two threads going and in both of them you neglected to let us know what Goldwing you have. We can't help you much without that pretty basic required information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol sorry was in thinking mode. Really not asking a question here so much as stating what I have found since getting into the 1984 1200 interstate. Its not that bad and just plan on starting from scratch with the accessories. But thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.