Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So working on my trike project (again), since I'm stuck at home..Anyway a new problem cropped up...My engine is from a '79 Goldwing, (1000)...After doing a few shifts to check how all is working, my neutral lite failed to come on, even though the tranny is in neutral...After many shifts, this is the first time this has happened...
What I have checked:
The first thing was the wire from the neutral sender (at the screw on the sender), on the case....If I am not mistaken (and I may be), when the tranny is in neutral, the switch closes, and sends a ground signal to the clutch switch, which then sends a signal to the bulb....
If that's true, then the neutral sender is working....
Next, I removed the bulb, and tested, and it works fine.
Third test, was removing the two wires from the clutch switch, and shorting them together...Still, the neutral lite failed to lite.
Checked the fuse, and it is good.
Finally , I tested the wire from the sender, at the clutch switch (to ground), and it is grounded....
I'm absolutely stumped...I thought that the other wire , at the clutch switch should have current, with the key on, but it does not..I notice on the wiring diagram, that there is a diode in that circuit...Could that be my problem?
Thanks for reading this long diatribe....(And for any help)
Edward

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
The clutch switch is just another ground for the starter relay, has nothing to do with the neutral light except if the diode is shorted the neutral light will come on when you pull in the clutch. You need to check continuity between the neutral switch and the ground side of the light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch switch is just another ground for the starter relay, has nothing to do with the neutral light except if the diode is shorted the neutral light will come on when you pull in the clutch. You need to check continuity between the neutral switch and the ground side of the light.
Hmmmm...So, I'm not sure how to proceed...I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure how to do it...Please give more detail.
Thanks
Edward

·
Registered
219 Posts
If it starts in neutral without the clutch lever pulled the neutral switch is good. There should 12 volts at the bulb socket with the key on

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it does start without pulling in the clutch lever....But , there is no power to the neutral light..(As I said earlier, the bulb tests good).Where to go next?
Thanks

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
If there is no power to the neutral light you need to open up the panel and check the wiring, it gets power from the same place as oil light so if the oil light works there is power close.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I saw that on the diagram....The oil light works, that's what makes it such a mystery..I wish I understood what the diode in the circuit does, and if it's the culprit.
Thanks for the help...If you think of anything else, please suggest it.
Edward

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
Yes, I saw that on the diagram....The oil light works, that's what makes it such a mystery..I wish I understood what the diode in the circuit does, and if it's the culprit.
Thanks for the help...If you think of anything else, please suggest it.
Edward
Read post #2. No it is not the diode.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
O.K. I'll check that...The question is if there is no voltage at the bulb (the bulb is good), where do I go next?
Sorry if I sound dumb, but it doesn't compute that there is twelve volts to a good bulb, but it doesn't light.
Thanks for your patience...
Edward

·
Registered
436 Posts
If there is 12v at the bulb and the switch definately grounds then a connection is disturbed or wire broken between the two

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If there is 12v at the bulb and the switch definately grounds then a connection is disturbed or wire broken between the two
Yes, thanks for that, but that is exactly what I'm trying to find....Where are the places in the circuit most likely to be broken between the bulb and the neutral switch? This can't be the first time this problem has happened in the last 40 years, can it?
Edward

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is no "most likely" place for this to happen. And yes it may well be the first time in 40 years.
Seen some switches go bad but not many(and that includes the 750 that uses same switch) seen several bad bulb holders and bulbs but not had a wire problem.

All you can do is start at the bulb and make sure it lights when you ground the wire that goes to switch then work your way allong any connectors till it doesnt, your fault is then between the last two test points

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
O.K. I'll check that...The question is if there is no voltage at the bulb (the bulb is good), where do I go next?
Sorry if I sound dumb, but it doesn't compute that there is twelve volts to a good bulb, but it doesn't light.
Thanks for your patience...
Edward
Is there or is there not voltage at the bulb? Your statement has it both ways.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well....:oops:...OOPS ! So here's the real story...While attaching my new shift boot to the floor, I , evidently took the gear shift partially out of neutral...Not enough to prevent the car from starting, but enough so that the neutral switch was open...So no light, but the engine would still start...Once the tranny got fully out of gear (today), it would not start...unless the clutch lever was depressed...So I started it with the clutch depressed, and shifted into first gear, then I was able to get it back to neutral...Voila ! Light came on, and so did my brain ! Of course, by then , half the car was in pieces....
Just shows...Even genius's have bad days ! (LOL !)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You working on a car or the Goldwing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You working on a car or the Goldwing?
This "trike" is categorized as a three-wheeled car, in Ga. , because it has a steering wheel, no handle bars....If you're interested in the project, there are photos under my screen name, in the photo section of this site....This is a front-engined, rear-wheel "car"....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This "trike" is categorized as a three-wheeled car, in Ga. , because it has a steering wheel, no handle bars....If you're interested in the project, there are photos under my screen name, in the photo section of this site....This is a front-engined, rear-wheel "car"....
The photos are located in the "Discussion" forum under "My Old School Trike Project"....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,702 Posts
I was just looking at your Gallery and the Reverse electric motor

It seems that the motor drives the Driveshaft via the flex belt.
I don't see a way to disengage the motor from the drive belt, so what keeps it from spinning when you are driving down the road?

I suspect an unseen electric hub clutch like used on lawn tractors for the blades?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Huum,that explains the comment about putting a BOOT over the shifter, that’s why I asked my question

1 - 20 of 49 Posts