Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have multiple problems suddenly with GL1800: Turn signals don't work at all in rear and in the front sliding the switch causes the opposite side to light steady!
Radio doesn't work hazard light doesn't work and the cruise switch won't turn off. The lower headlights also don't work. Bike is low milage and in excellent shape. Is there some kind of computer control of electronics on a wing that can be "rebooted". All bulbs and fuses are good and all connections appear to be spotless. I have had more than one battery drain slowly away while sitting. Could that cause these problems? Thanks. Oh yeah I forgot headlight aim and ride height don't work either.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I'm guessing you have a ground problem at one of the major grounding points.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
What year 1800? There are differences so before I lead you in the wrong direction I need to know.

Also the cruise switch is probably stuck, I never turn mine off so it may be stuck too, I don't care.
The battery is going to drain when sitting because of the radio memory.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Just in case you come back and I have signed off. If it is an 01-05 check fuse #21 and the accessory power relay, 3rd from the left in the middle row.
If it is an 06-10 check fuse #25 and the 2nd relay from the left on the front row. There is no magic computer reset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. It is an 03. All fuses are good have not checked any relays yet. The battery run down on a somewhat seasonal vehicle that sits it frustrating. I measured a 200 milliamp draw when off. Seems like bad plan. I would rather reset a clock and radio stations than keep buying batteries. I will check the relays next. Under the seat I hope. I have a service manual so I'll find out.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
200Ma is a bit much. If it has a trunk light or other accessory that is wired to constant power check that it is turned off.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Have you double-checked the Grounds? There should be some better info on beefing-up and adding redundant grouns on Fred Harmon's site, but it does sound as though you've lost a common ground point.

As you check and clean your grounding points, I recommend using a little
- local harware stores or electical supply should stock it) on the bare metal surfaces as you reassemble the hardware stacks...

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Plus 1 for check the grounds..

Also, check, clean & tighten your battery connections.. I have seen some odd issues, like total instrument and radio resets that went away after a thorough cleaning & tightening. FWIW...

=Dave=
olddogmoto.com

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Assuming that you have a stock GL1800 with no added devices, the battery drain while the bike is turned off should not exceed 5ma. 200ma draw will kill your battery in short order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.