Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

GL1500 when key is turned on, headlight and indicator lights in cluster do not light, also bike will not start. If I put on either the handle bar brake or the foot brake, the lights all come on and the bike will start. I suspect one of the relays. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

look carefully for a short in the area of the lights/ indicator/ starter switch cluster. If all the wires including the one from the front brake go into a single heat shrink than thats your first port of call. It's a live shorting out up there some where. The fact that the rear brake also has the same affect is just because their linked up.

I hate earthing problems myself but I would not suspect the need to replace relays.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

I suspect the main ground connection on the frame near the oil dipstick or the ignition switch. First check that the ground is clean and tight. If not that try turning the key on then back and forth slightly to see if it makes connection.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

check the big connector under the right fairing pocket

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I also suspect a bad ground & your brakelight is completing the circut so I have to guess that it is tracking through the brake light back to the main power or fuse panel grounding. If you use a jumper wire from battery negative to ground in your fuse panel, You might see your cluster lights come on. That would than prove that you are not grounded.

Hope that helps you trouble shoot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.