Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I rode my motorcycle to the gym this morning to work out. When it was time to leave, I turned the ignition on, the lights came on and as soon as I hit the starter switch everything went dark. I checked all of the fuses including the dog bone, nothing blown. I could hear a faint noise coming from the relay box on the left side of the motorcycle. The relay for the tail lights was making an unusual noise. I've swapped out the relay with one of the other relays in the box, since they all have the same part number on them, but I still get the buzzing noise from the tail light relay connection point. The radio works sporadically, but quits as soon as I hit the starter switch. Now the headlights will not come on when the ignition switch is on. I've taken most of the covers off the bike and was hoping someone might tell me where I should start looking for the problem.
Thanks,
Murray

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

I'd guess either a flat battery or bad ground connection at the battery or the frame. Check the battery connections are tight first.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

wow , great minds think alike huh? That was the first thing to come to my mind also.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like she worked out to much at the gym.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Very likely bad connection at battery to terminals.

A quick and dirty test is to use a screwdriver between terminal and post to bridge any fault. With screwdriver between the two give a couple of small twists back and forth with key on. If you have a corroded connection you will see a couple of sparks and the headlight will come on, screwdriver is now making the connection. Be sure to test both sides, + and - .

JD

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Could also be that the alternator has stuck brushes. My old `91 would show no charge at first start up, then start charging 2 or 3 miles latter. At some point it didn`t start charging again. Clean the carbon dust out and it worked great. Replace brushes if worn to the wear line, and check bearings.
Gumbyred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.