Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Electrical problem, tail light came on funny whining sound and now no power.
my e-mail address is [email protected] I have lost my manual and could use another operators manual to trouble shoot this problem.
thanks

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello . Here at the Steve Saunders Forums the door is always open .

If youcontact " GSMaclean" I think he may be able to help you with the info you seek .

Enjoy the forums and visit often .

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

I think I may have a copy of your electrical wire diagram. I maybe able to help with a little more info.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome Simplot[/align]

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Perhaps a bit more info...Taillight came on when? No electric power as in battery completely dead. Did it drain from light on all night or were you standing there, saw light and no power all at once?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Guys, I have not looked at the bike yet, but will do it today, looks like I blow the main fusable link off the battery as not veen power to the computer. Barry

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

It was on when I started up the bike and when I shut off the bike I did not have power again when I turned the key back on, looks like I have blown the fusalbe link off the battery.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

It was on when I started up the bike and when I shut off the bike I did not have power again when I turned the key back on, looks like I have blown the fusalbe link off the battery.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

Simplot, Welcome to the Site!

There are 2, 30amp dogbone fuseson the Ltd Ed. One is located on the starter selinoid and is the main fuse. The other is a sub main inline fuse and is located behind the starter selinoid. The sub main fuse controlls stuff like the CFI computer, cruise control, air ride suspension and such. I've replaced each on my bike with new 30ampin-line fuse holders....

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Don, it maybe the sub fuse as it was something to do with the cruise control as the lights for the cruise came on when I speed up the bike.
Barry

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

Another indication of a bad sub main fuse is the 2 dash fuel lights won't light up when the key is turned on....

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Don, I have checked the two 30 amp fuses and they where bought blown, I replaced them but still do not have power to anything all I can think is that the ignition switch is no good as something caused the fuses to blow.

Barry

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

OK Barry, let's start simple... First make sure the battery is fully charged and the batteryconnections have are clean and tight. Next use a test light to verify you're getting voltage on BOTH sides of the fuse's.. You say both fuses were blown. If you used fuses that you hadwith the bike they might be old and brittle and failed when you put them in...If you're not getting voltage on both sides of the fuse holders you might want to get some 30amp in-line fuse holders, crimp some round connectors on the ends, and use them in place of the dogbone fuses for testing purposes...

Let us knowwhat you find....

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Welcome, WelcomeTo Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were :15red:'sin their previous lives and can answer any question you have. Theforums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info aboutGoldwing’s and are where you ask questions and can get help..

For Sale/Wanted ForumGood stuff for Sale or if you have old parts sitting around the garage you would like to get rid of....

:18red::15red::12red::11red:

And when all you need is a good laugh to start your day try the:: Fun Forum After that it’s up to you which of the others you will like the best all I can do is suggest.

Again Welcome to the Forum...

Oh and did I mention everyone here loves pictures.. Show us some of yours... Even if it’s not a Goldwing just a pretty view

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Yes Don, I replaced the two fuses and I do have power downstream of the fuses but when I turn the key on there is not power and also no power to computer either so it must be something in between as I thing I should have power to computer even if the key is not turned on, unless all power goes through key????
Barry Thank god the season is near done for me here in Canada.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

OK, open up the gas cover/Travel computer and remove the fuse cover. Using a test light check all the fuses, 1 thru 11, for power on both sides ofeach fuse then post the result's.. There's some that have power all the time although I'd have to check mine to find out which ones.. Which I'll do if I need too as I need to change the air filter anyway!! :cool:

Let me know what you find....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.