Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My just bought 89 GL1500 Motor Trike just quit. After being hauled off the expressway, it started back up. Few weeks later, on the interstate, it died. This time no go.Took it to mechanic. He tore off the rear fenders and found a 3rd relay which he replaced. He's not a Honda shop. Bike ran great for a while, but now it's stopping when in OD around 70mph. Also reverse no longer works. It starts to go, moves a 3 inches then stops. You can keep pushing the starter button and move 3 inches at a time. Didn't do this before mechanic worked on electrical. Talked to him and I'm taking the bike back Monday for the reverse. Now, also to look at the stopping in OD. Other issue that existed before I bought it but is worse since mechanic is that sometimes when you turn on the key, the relay to the headlights/dashboard doesn't want to come on. Turn the key on and off a few times and it works. Sounds like a loose wire somewhere. ANY HELP?? Just started looking for a wiring diagram. Troubleshooting manual would be nice too. Complete service manual too. I can't afford to take the thing to the mechanic every month. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...it's stopping when in OD around 70mph...
> If it runs ok at other speeds, then it sounds like Fuel Starvation ...in which case, try bypassing the fuel shutoff valve.

...when you turn on the key, the relay to the headlights/dashboard doesn't want to come on. Turn the key on and off a few times and it works...
> I'd suggest spending ~$40 and replacing All the relays in the relay panel on left side of bike... they tend to go bad after a few years, especially if sitting, and certainly a concern for a 1989 vintage.

...Also reverse no longer works. It starts to go, moves a 3 inches then stops. You can keep pushing the starter button and move 3 inches at a time...
> I recall that being caused by either a fuse or relay on the Right side of the bike, behind the battery box... There are 1 or 2 5-amp blade-type fuses very well buried in the wiring harness at that location, for the reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. I'll see about the relays on both sides. I found the reverse relay, nestled up against the front of the battery. It clicks on, the bike moves back 3" then it clicks off. You can hear it and feel it...nearly ran over myself but that's another story. The guy I bought it from moved three fuses out of the mash and mounted a custom fuse strip to the side of the battery. At least they're easy to get to. Not blown by the way.

Bad thing about the left side relays is the motor trike kit makes it impossible to get to them without taking off the body! I'm moving them this time so I don't have to disassemble the entire bike!!

Is the fuel shutoff valve connected with the relays?

I just downloaded an official service manual for $6. I'll be looking at it next weekend.

Again, thanks for the reply. I'll do some more wire tracing and look into all new relays. Already got one the mechanic put in to supposed to fix it from dying. Frustrating.

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts
What the mechanic replaced is probably the #3 tail/main relay, it has nothing to do with the engine, it operates lighting and instruments. The usual problem with that relay is not the relay itself but the connector where it plugs in to the fuse/relay box gets hot and melts the relay. The connector needs replaced along with the relay.
The dying and reverse problems are somewhere else and probably not related to each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.