Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1983 gl1100. The bike is fully dressed and in over all very good condition. However, I have discovered an electrical drain that is draining my battery at a rate of 20ma. Over a period of 24 hours the battery is no longer has the capacitance to start the bike. I have removed the accessory fuses one at a time and have not found the source. The bike charges at a proper rate 14.5 volts at 3000 RPM. Starter motor works well. are there any inherent problems in this year and model that might cause this. Looking for possible direction..

Thx. Dave.

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
Does it have a radio? The memory power to the radio could be the drain but 20ma should not drain the battery in 24 hrs. Have the battery checked. It may be weak.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum COPTER Dave

No inherent problems. Other then improper previous owner mechanic wire jobs.
Are there accessory lights on the bike that are tapped off the stock wiring? Have you inspected any wiring splices?
Are you leaving the bike in the park key position? That would leave the tail light on.

Post back a reply what you find with the battery load testing results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The battery is suppose to be new but I will take it in to get it checked. The previous owner said something about removing the automatic turn signal sensor shut off as it was malfunctioning. Apparently he spliced the wires together. Having said that I would think by removing the fuse to the signal lights it would have stopped the drain. Regarding the drain of 20 ma I'm not sure how much of a drain that is as to whether or not it is excessive. Thx. for the advise Muchly appreciated

Dave

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
As posted earlier, 20ma isn't that much. With a radio memory and clock that's about what I would expect. While it is enough to make charging monthly necessary when not being used on a regular basis, it's not enough to drain a good fully charged battery in 24 hours. Here's a comparison from a unit I recently tested...a 98 TRX450 Honda ATV with a clock has normal parasitic current draw of 11.5ma.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
As said earlier, inspection of all wiring, including inside the fairing is necessary to see if a PO did a hack wiring job somewhere. Someone may have tapped in something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.