Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am getting to know my new to me 1100 very intimately. Right now she sets in the shed with the fairing off. I have no brake lights, no turn signals and no horn. The running lights all work fine. Now I seem to have compounded the problem, the above is how it started, now it is worse. I accessed the hornets nest under the counter weight,(without taking off the fairing) and checked all the connecters in there the best I could. I checked there because the other day I put on some handlebar risers and during the process of having the bars loose, really taxed the wiring. So I put it all back together and now when I turn the key on, I still do not have turns, brake or horn, but the left turn indicator is on and when the turn switch is activated the front only running light will go out on which ever side turn I activate. I have pulled the fairing to have good access and about 3 am this morning I gave up and went to bed. I do not have a good wiring schematic. I have a clymer but it only list the interstate, not the aspencade and I have found some differences. Need help please and thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

When nothing makes any sense and you feel like you are just chasing your tail in circles, look at the ground wires!!! It sounds like a ground wire has been broken.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

on these wings I found out if there is just one grond that is not hooked up, nothing will work right. Also if you have the fairing off its not going to work right.. also make sure everything is hooked up right under the weight if you have the fairing off. good luck. the light wiring is the same on interstate and aspencade. Just more junk on a anaspencade

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Under the weight I have a brown wire that has 12 volts on it with the key on, but it does not have a mate. Not that I can find anyway. Do you guys know where on the bike the chasis ground are located? I'll keep searching.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Kevin, I think on the 1100 the main ground from the battery cable is connected to the frame at one of the engine mounts. They are the triangle shaped metal pieces down about where your knee would be. One of the bolts should have the ground cable connected there.

The brown colored wire is going to be the running lights I believe.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

the horn has the button, fuse and a relay i believe should have a relay anyway

the other lights check the connectors under the seat maybe they all came off cuz when you turn on the ign it powers up the fuses for all those lights in question.

otherwise if you have no power to the fuses you have a wiring or problem at the switch itself

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

The signals, horn and brake lights all share the same fuse in the boardat the front of the fake gas tank, 3rd one from the left I think, they are prone to corrosion and a loss in continuity at the metal clips, try lubing it with some WD40 and turning it in the clips, it worked for me.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

http://myweb.midco.net/gl1100singlecarburetor/ServiceManual.html

The website above allows you to download Haynes service manuals for free.

Click on the top drop down box and choose your bike model. Then follow the instructions. They're zipped, so it took about 5 seconds to download the whole thing. (I'm going to keepa copyin the computer just for referencesince I already have the Honda and Clymer manuals.
On (about) page 29 of the GL1100 manual, they start the Aspy wiring diagrams. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I downloaded the 80-83 1100 manual and the wiring diagrams are not any where in it. They are supposed to be in chapter 18, page 18-37. The file stops at page 18-36.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Check the fuse connections like chilidawg said and while you have things out of the way the main harness ground is on the front ignition coil bolt, good time to clean it up. The brown wire is an extra tail/marker light circuit wire.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks DaveO and everyone else. I'll go back out in a little while and start looking again.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Kevin. Since the posers are cancelling when you use the turn signal switch, I'd suspect it's okay. I'm relatively certain the posers die on their respective turn signal flashes.

You may have a bad fuse or power supply since a lot of circuits are dead.

But, the turn signal indicator lights up? Seems to be power on that circuit. With no/poor ground, the power will backfeed to any bulb in the circuit to find a ground.

If there's one thing I've learned about electricity in thirty years, it's that electricity will do what ever it darn well pleases.:(

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well, she is buttoned back up and all circuits are working. Only trouble is, I'm not sure what I did. I do know that I had a wire hooked up wrong in the hornets nest. That corrected the turn indicator light being on all the time. Where the fairing main connector is, there is a light green wire,( I think, I am colored blind), I did not disconnect that wire, but remember it being disconnected when I pulled the fairing off. I have not gone back and studied the wire schematic yet. But she is back together and ready to ride. Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

my only input is: make sure you have the right size fuses in it, when you pulled on the harness you may have stretched something beyond its limits, i had a jeep 1 time "searching" for a ground, it would have the turn indicator on but the signal wasnt on, i found a bulb socket ssomeone had broken and took the socket off the wires and stuffed them back in the hole and they were touching, fixed that and the whole system went back to working, be careful, dont need to hear about an insurance claim

btw, it was a clearance light that was shorted, nothing to do with the trun signals but it showed up in the turn signal circuit LOL

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

that green wire was the ground for the fairing... good job

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Wiring diagram, made sense to me, eventually, ya'all are welcome to it if it helps you! Don't worry to much if it's not for your model, they where all much the same, set it as your background or landscpape and print it onto big paper for a better view, mines a hybrid Interstate/Aspy and apart from all the fella's here and ebay it's why it runs so good today, call it paying forward! ;)

Uh ohI was wrong, looking at it again it's the first fuse on the left, follow that green and white wire wherever it goes and decide for yourself if you think it's going to all your problem places, bearing in mind that you may not have all the buzzers and whistles that it shows, goodluck.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.