Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, here goes...

The horn on my 1984 GL1200A no longer works and just recently, the self-cancelling feature for the turn signals switch has stopped working. The signals work but I have to manually flip them off now. What should I check?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

keener wrote:
Okay, here goes...

The horn on my 1984 GL1200A no longer works and just recently, the self-cancelling feature for the turn signals switch has stopped working. The signals work but I have to manually flip them off now. What should I check?
keener, mostelectrical problems on the older Wings are usuallycaused by broken wires, or poor connection of the harness connectors. (there are lots of wires & many connectors on those old Wings)

On the horn? Start by checking the fuse, then use a (12 volt) test light & check for power to the horn(s) while pushing the horn button with the ign switch turned on. If you have power at the horns while testing then you have failed horn(s), if no power, you either have a broken wire, failed relay, corroded connector, defective handlebar horn switch, or other break in either the 12 volt supply circuit or in the handle bar switch circuit. (a service manual would be very handy here).

On the turn signals? Again that could be most anything but the little wire harness running down through the center of the steering stem going to the angle sensor would be at the top of my list, look for broken wires or a wire connector pulled loose there. (again a service manual would be very helpful here for tracing wires & connectors).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Keener,

the horn problem is probably as twisty say's , to check them, remove the lower fairing connect a wire from +ve terminal on the battery to the +ve terminal on the horn/s if the horn/s sounds look at the push buttonand wireing. If not replace the horn/s

Your self canceling indicators, apart from broken wires etc., could be due to the mechanisim inside the front forks stuck, through corrosion, to one side, mine does exactly the same. The only cure is to remove the assembly and give it a good clean up (Or drop the bike on the opposite side, but I don't think you'll want to do that!!!!:gunhead:)

Good luck

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

For a novice like me, qualified responses from other, far more experienced members, is a great source of comfort. I'll be doing the front assembly this weekend as my speedo / trip meter / odometer unit quit and will check out the rest of the little bits at that time.

Thanks much, guys...

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

not sure if the 84 has the digital dash when all that happen to me my speed senors went out it controls the speedo trip meter turnsignal and auto Vol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.