Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everybody,

I do own a Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1200 1986 with 69,000 km. I did purchased it in april 2003 with 46,000 km on it. As far I could remember, the alternator as never been change. I did remove the alternator and regulator/rectifier coupler( beside the upperleft hand sideof the battery,because it was all corroded, andsoldered all 3 yellow wires directly, after I had the motorcycle inspected by a Honda motorcycle shop and been advise of the coupler condition. I replace the battery last august, got about 8000 km on it. We just cameback from a 4000 km hollidaytrip (hauling a little cargo trailer ): U.S.A (Vermont, New-Hampshire, Maine ) New-Brunswick, Nova-Scotia and back to St-Hubert, Québec

Have you heared of the following problem:

a. Recently I noticed at idle speed (1000 rpm )in neutral gear having fluctuating lights (neutral green light,and headlights). I did check the charging system with a multimeter: 1000 rpm = 12.8 volts,andat 2500rpm= 14.6 volts. The voltage did not fluctuated at any of those rpm mentionned above. I did not check if the headlight fluctuate when motorcycle is in gear and not moving at all. May be I should have......

b. Since I got that motorcycle everytime I put the flashers L/R or push on the rear brake pedal to slow down, the headlight or the neutral green light become weaker. Is it normal
Does anybody have run throught similar problems.

Hope to hear from you folk’s

Bert Nadeau, St-Hubert, Canada

:12beige:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

bert wrote:
Hi everybody,

I do own a Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1200 1986 with 69,000 km. I did purchased it in april 2003 with 46,000 km on it. As far I could remember, the alternator as never been change. I did remove the alternator and regulator/rectifier coupler( beside the upperleft hand sideof the battery,because it was all corroded, andsoldered all 3 yellow wires directly, after I had the motorcycle inspected by a Honda motorcycle shop and been advise of the coupler condition. I replace the battery last august, got about 8000 km on it. We just cameback from a 4000 km hollidaytrip (hauling a little cargo trailer ): U.S.A (Vermont, New-Hampshire, Maine ) New-Brunswick, Nova-Scotia and back to St-Hubert, Québec

Bert,

a. Recently I noticed at idle speed (1000 rpm )in neutral gear having fluctuating lights (neutral green light,and headlights). I did check the charging system with a multimeter: 1000 rpm = 12.8 volts,andat 2500rpm= 14.6 volts. The voltage did not fluctuated at any of those rpm mentionned above. I did not check if the headlight fluctuate when motorcycle is in gear and not moving at all. May be I should have......
That charging system output seems pretty normal.. That fluctuating could be anything from a sulfated battery, to a poor groundfor the accessory systems, or a problem starting to show up in either the 30 amp fuse at the starter relay or more likely the 2 red wires where they go into the starter relay.. Look closely at that 30 amp fuse area & look evencloser tothe 2 red wires & theirplastic connectors where they enter the starter relay (look for melted plastic or the inability to remove the wires from the relay).. If all good there, pull the battery & have it load tested (most bike shops will do it for free).. It wouldn't hurt to check the bike groundsfor broken wires, oxidised connections, or loose grounds.

b. Since I got that motorcycle everytime I put the flashers L/R or push on the rear brake pedal to slow down, the headlight or the neutral green light become weaker. Is it normal
Normal if youare running ANY extra lights or the battery is getting sulfated & won't hold a good charge.. Have the battery load tested.. Also check the water in the battery, that alone being low could cause your problem..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Bert, it sounds like low amps and low volts as you load up the electrical system. The alternator and battery work in parallel as each provides energy, the battery at low RPM and the alternator at higher RPM. This said I would start with the battery. At 14.6 VDC the charging appears to be there, but the question remains is the battery accepting this charge or is it just hanging around the terminals.

Check the state of the battery, use a hydrometer. As an alternative a mutimeter may help if you understand the readings. At 11.4 VDC the battery is considered dead. You may have a cell out of service. Cells can be revived by shaking and equalizing with high current, but the battery needs to be fully charged as far as it will go. Also check the bottom of the battery, internaly for crud and spent lead, the cells may be shorting from use and vibrations from the bike.

Clean all your connectors, regulator to alternator and verify voltages at each. The alternator develops 50 VAC 3 phase, equally. Any variation could mean problems. At highway speeds and at 14.6 volts the battery should be charged, or is it over charged, have you added water, is the electrolyte level low?

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

bert wrote:
Hi everybody,

Hope to hear from you folk’s

Bert Nadeau, St-Hubert, Canada

From one newby to another. Welcome to this wonderful forum. Did you per chance happen to have your foot or hand on a brake during the time of this low RPM fluctuation? The upper tail light bar onmy Aspencade flashes when the brakes are applied-I only assume that that is normal-- So if yours is flashing too, then it may accountfor the pulsing of the headlight. That was the very first thing I noticed when I fired up my Wing for the first night run. At anything above idle, it does not happen as the alternator is pumping out more amps. I may be way out in left field but look for the simple stuff first.
Why are my quote responses coming out white?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

(because you are typing with the curser in the quote box)

check for bad grounds, do a volt drop test on the negative battery cable. volt drop the positive side if you find nothing on the ground side.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Gambler wrote:

check for bad grounds, do a volt drop test on the negative battery cable. volt drop the positive side if you find nothing on the ground side.

Son of a gun, so I must have been. Thanks Gambler

Hawker22

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
Gambler wrote:

Son of a gun, so I must have been. Thanks Gambler

Hawker22
no problem:p

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I had just about the same thing happen, got in there and started moving stuff around, ended up being a fuse that worked its way loose somehow, might give that a once over

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi everybody,

Finally,I'm answering about that fluctuating light problem. Sorry if it took so long

Problem resolve, main engine support "bolt" was loose. I found the problem inapril this year after having replace the starter.

So, thank's again to all of you, for your help and suggestions.

I wish to all of you a"Merry Christmas" and a "Happy New Year. "

Best regards to all of you

Bert Nadeau

St-Hubert, Canada

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.