Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My GL 1000 still has the original points system and I would like to install electronic ignition. Where's the best place to get it? How hard is the installation? Anything else I need to know?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I found a Dyna S ignition for $150. Is that the way to go?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

fletchman919 wrote:
I found a Dyna S ignition for $150. Is that the way to go?
Yep, and it's easy as pie to convert. Took me less than 30 minutes to do mine. $150 is a good price.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Okay, thanks!

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Hey fletchman, have you checked out www.dynatek.com they have instructions etc. about the Dyna.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,824 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

This is what I use on the CB550. You keep the points though.
Hondaman Ignition, very long thread, 8 pages.

It has never missed a beat for me.

JamesPost Reply

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've had the Dyna III since my 76 was 1/2 a year old. The dwell and timing have never changed and the performance has always been tops!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I put a Dynatech S on my 79 a year ago. There were a few installation issues with getting the timing set spot on. No way to get the pickup units close enough together without a bit of grinding on the plastic cases. Hopefully the factory has taken care of that by now.

Once installed, be sure to set the timing with a strobe rather than statically because there was a 3 degree difference between the two methods. That's enough to have an effect on performance.

I'm very happy with the way it runs and with the fact that I'll never again have to deal with points and timing.

Q

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Cool! I plan to update my ignition to the Dyna S in the near future. Thanks for the replys!

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,824 Posts
imported post

Q wrote:
I put a Dynatech S on my 79 a year ago. There were a few installation issues with getting the timing set spot on. No way to get the pickup units close enough together without a bit of grinding on the plastic cases. Hopefully the factory has taken care of that by now.

Once installed, be sure to set the timing with a strobe rather than statically because there was a 3 degree difference between the two methods. That's enough to have an effect on performance.

I'm very happy with the way it runs and with the fact that I'll never again have to deal with points and timing.

Q
They haven't taken care of this yet. Still have to grind or split the difference. I ground the first set. Ruined one module. Split the difference on the next.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

That sucks to pay $120-$150 for a part and then have to grind on it and possibly ruin it. You would think that they would fix something like that asap. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.