Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I still have points ignition with my GL1000.Would it be a better option to ditch the points in favour of electronic ignition and if so which is the best one to go with.Thanks.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Yes, ditch it if you can afford it. Dyna made a very good product, I used their S ignition on a 750 Honda and it was great. No more points to fool with!!:clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

There are a lot of opinions on the subject.

With standard points ignition it takes more fiddling to keep things in tune because of wear and pitting. But if it ever breaks down, you'll probably be able to make it home by fiddling withthe pointsand their electrical connections. Many, including me, still have the old-fashoned breaker points for this reason. Another reason might be economic (another one of my reasons).

Some people swear by breakerless electronic ignition. No points to wear out, the spark duration (dwell) stays within spec, and once the timing is set you shouldn't have to set the spark timing again.

In the early days when this was a new concept, some electronic systems did break down and leave riders stranded. However, keeping in mind that every car and motorcycle sold these days has electronic ignition leads me to believe that the systems are now much more reliable.

Dynatek (and maybe some others) make electronic ignition systems for the GL1000. With the new one's, the entire system fits inside the points cover. They can be found anywhere from $140 to over $200.

Maybe someday I'll spring for an electronic system, but until then I'll just have to tinker with the old breaker points.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'm from the UK,and I am impressed how quick you guys out there respond with information and advice.Your spot on Jason about the Newtronics system -would seem to be the most obvious one to go for.Keep up the good work.George.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Lott1000, have you ever seen the system that uses a distributor with a single coil?

A friend has that system and it looks really cool on his GL1000 custom. When he comes back from Hawaii I'll ask him to send me a pic and I'll post it here.

Vic

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Hi George. The Dyna systems are supposed to be the ones that the rest try to emulate. Easy to get parts for too. You may find that the Newtronics item is based around Dyna parts anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.