Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The subject came up on another thread where a few states prohibit the use of earphones on a M/C. Some allow only one earphone.

If a person disconnected one earphone would it harm the amplifier of the radio?

I recall being told many years ago the running an amp without a load could cause it to burn out.Is that no longer the case?

I'm trying to sort out a silly situation created by bureaucrats.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Many years ago running a TUBE amplifier without a load could burn out your finals.

Your bike's transistorized amplifier will have no problems whatsoever running just one earphone. However, I haven't ever heard any Goldwing rider having LEO problems from their headphones/intercoms/radios. Has anyone else?

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
However, I haven't ever heard any Goldwing rider having LEO problems from their headphones/intercoms/radios. Has anyone else?
New York for one, has the one speaker law but I wonder if it's like a spitting on the sidewalk law that is only used to rub salt in a wound.

A few states have total bans including possession. I'm going to try to find the definition of possession. The situation seems a bit overblown.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The reply from NY State:

" You pose an interesting question. We are providing you with a copy of the law. Interpreting it is something judges and attorneys will argue for years and never come to a resolution. Therefor, this is as far as we can go to assist you, however, few if any tickets are even written for this as the officers cannot tell if there are speakers inside a helmet.

NYSP - Traffic Services Section

NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375 Sub 24-a. It shall be unlawful to operate upon any public highway in this state a motor vehicle, limited use automobile, limited use motorcycle or
bicycle while the operator is wearing more than one earphone attached to
a radio, tape player or other audio device."

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Are speakers earphones??

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I just noticed it is written "WEARING" not "USING". The little ear suckers don't even have to be turned on to get you in trouble. :doh:

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I just noticed it is written "WEARING" not "USING". The little ear suckers don't even have to be turned on to get you in trouble. :doh:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If your helmet speakers are not touching your ears, are you wearing them? I would argue not.

To extend that, the argument that the speakers are being worn because they are attached to the helmet being worn by your head, does not take a great leap to say that you are also wearing car speakers because the car is attached to your ass via the seat.

I would think it was defendable unless the reduction of hearing was a factor in some type of accident or if the cop just wanted to load you up for some other type of offense.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

i love my country... this the only place where you can get in trouble for listening to music....i'm going to hook up a cup holder on my gl1100 i wonder what the courts will say about that.lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.