Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The GL1800 bag covers and trunk lid utilize little clearance "points" or features to maintain a rattle-free fit when closed. However, I noticed that some of features were grinding away, leaving a fine dusty residue of the material. I also thought the bags/cover were too "rattle-ee" when on bumpy roads. The visible loss of material was also very disconcerting.

The fix I found is to cover each "point" feature with a sufficiently size piece of 3M Clear Repair Tape (3M No. 03405NA). The tape prevents further wear to the point features, while also maintaining a non-squeak, cushionedcompliance fit between the bag/trunk and covers. Since the tape is clear and very conforming, it applies flush and without bubbles, etc over the features.

If the tape ever wears (which it appears it won't due to its slippery, compliant properties), just replace it. I couldn't believe rate of deterioration that was starting to occur (bought this bike as demo - wanted to nip this in the bud right away.

Although any tape will prevent the wear, this really got rid of the rattle.

Best Regards,

Corey

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That would work too. No offense to anyone, but I think the tape is more elegant and aesthetically transparent (no pun intended):p

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

corey wrote:
That would work too. No offense to anyone, but I think the tape is more elegant and aesthetically transparent (no pun intended):p
Wrong :shakehead: This does work and is a permanent fix, and cannot be seen. :clapper: http://goldwingfacts.com/1800trunklidfix.htm :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Actually they both work. The rubber tibing stops teh trunk lid settling down and wearing into the base, and the clear tape helps stop the little nibs rubbing and turning to dust as well. Both methods complement each other very well.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

If you buy the small pads used to put on furniture legs which stop them scraping your timber floor and place them in the joint between the lid and box it makes a snug fit, stops the rattle and prevents any wear.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Try a strip of velcro the fuzzy side not the side with the hooks. It working great for me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.