Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got asurprise today.My bike has been sitting for two days on it's sidestand in the garage while I do some domicile repairs. When I took it out this morning I had a rather definite flat spot on the rear tire. It was noticeable enough that I put the bike up on the centerstand and turned the tire to see what was going on. It rounded out okay after a mile or so but I didn't expect that in warm weather. Two days is the longest the bike has sat unused since I put the new tires on so that's most likely why I haven't noticed this before. I'll park her on the centerstand from now on at the house. Could be a problem this winter. Anyone else have such an experience with the EIII?

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Paul, do you happen to know if Dunlop uses nylon cords in the Elite III?

I'm thinking about a new set of tires for my 1200 and I'd prefer not using nylon corded tires if I can avoid it. The are not dangerous just uncomfortable until they warm up.

Many high performance cars in the mid 60's had nylon belted tires and in the winter time, when first driving away, it felt like the tires were square instead of round.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I don't think they have a nylon carcase, pretty sure they'repolyester based but can't find any information about it on their site. Not up to a deeper search at the moment. I sure do remember nylon bias ply tires. My old 1969 Ford 3/4T with ten ply tires was most interesting in Kotzebue when the temp was -40F or lower. Luckily the roads were so rough you only could feel the thump-thump-thump when rolling into the shop.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I searched online as well Paul and could not find anything about the cords. When you get a chance have a look at the sidewalls of the tires on your Wing and it will state what cords and belts are in the tires.

Vic

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I get the same flat spot. It, soon smooths out. But, mine also sing. I wrote Dunlop about it, but no reply. Not surprised. Mine sing so bad, it interferres with our intercom and tunes when I have a passenger.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Iwish I had found only a flat spot! I was doing a little routine maintenance on my 1100 today when I noticed a large bulge on the left side of the tread area on my rear Dunlop Elite II. Guess I'm down until I have time to get a new tire.I didn't notice any problemwhen I went tomeet mike149 Friday morning but this is a big knot! The tire is only a little over a year old with about 12,000 miles on it. Tread doesn't look too bad. Maybe I'll get some credit for a defective tire!

Going to be a long two weeks though! Could have been worse. I could have had a blow out on my way to work at 70MPH!

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Jabber wrote:
I get the same flat spot. It, soon smooths out. But, mine also sing. I wrote Dunlop about it, but no reply. Not surprised. Mine sing so bad, it interferres with our intercom and tunes when I have a passenger.
I only get the 'tune' around 25mph or so, any faster than that and I don't hear it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Jabber wrote:
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Jabber!:waving::waving:

Just noticed that was your first post!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
I searched online as well Paul and could not find anything about the cords. When you get a chance have a look at the sidewalls of the tires on your Wing and it will state what cords and belts are in the tires.

Vic
Exavid, just wondering if you have had the opportunity to go look at the sidewalls of your tires and let us know what type of material is used?

Vic

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Oh ya - my first - this is a really cool message board. Looks like a good source of knowledge. I've only had my 1st Wing for almost 3 years now. It's an awesome bike. Won't have anything else now. I put 24k on it a year with little effort. Because I'm a "do it yourselfer", I've learned a lot and I like to share information. Actually, I've ended up being the "go to guy" for accessory installations. Anything I can do to bring my buds together is fine with me. It's all good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.