Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a set of Elite III tyres on my Wing (02 gl1800) and lately I've noticed a whining sound from them (I think more so from the back). I can't say how long they have been doing this as I usually have the music on. It's not a particularly loud niose but I'm wondering if I might have a problem. :?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

You're probably starting to feather the sides of the treads, common in improper inflation.

Not sure of the recommended inflation pressure for E-III's on an 1800, but I'm sure someone will have that info.

Your problem is typical of low inflation pressure or overloading.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

2000+ miles and counting. I set my pressure to 38lbs rear and 36lbs front, no feathering so far, but I haven't been loading it down or riding double.... I myself am 320lbs... no need to kill my suspension right away.;) I am seeing a minimal bit of tread wearing off, but I haven't noticed it being any better or worse than any other tire I have ever put on a bike before. I mostly ride it to and from work on the highway, so I may be more lenient on tires than most.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I've heard this from a few owners of gl1800 & gl1500. I suppose it's a fair trde-off for better grip in wet & dry.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

I'd be happy to give the EIIIs a go myself as the reports are all good. A bit of noise I can live with, just turn up the radio. :band:

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I noticed the sound immediately having replaced the noisy Avon's. But, my new front tire has to be replaced due to factory defect.They don't make enough lead weights tobalance this one.The service man where I got the tire told me he has had to replace several of the new E-III for this reason. After leaving the shop I first thought it was just a bad stretch of freeway, but quickly realized it was the tire. The way handled was like one of those circus bikes with a oblong tire. Let's hope we can get some decent mileage out of the E-III's once the bugs are worked out.

Mr. Peabody

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I get a little whistling sound as I slow down through 25 or so on some pavements on my new E IIIs, but they are the bias version, not the radials the 1800 uses. Sure do like them though, both tires took very little weight to balance, 3/8 oz. on the rear (I had to cut a 1/4 oz. in half plus one whole one) and 1/4 oz. on the front. Smooth as silk at all speeds and she sure sits quietly in the bends now, roll her in andthe bike tracks like it's on rails. It used to wander a bit but not now.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Today my newE-III (front)was replaced with another new E-III. This one didn't require a weight at all when balanced, and it handled soso much better on that dreadful stretch of I-5 freewayinsouthern Cal. The E-III is a little morenoisy than the Avon, but I can live with that. But I still keep in mind what the Tech told me in thatoneout of fiveE-III's are having to be replaced. After this set I may switch to Bridgestones.

Mr. Peabody

GL1800

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Dunlop were working on the EIII for quite a long time, long enough indeed to getit right.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I put 150 miles on this second new frontDunlop E-111. It rides much better than the first, but I'm still get a little wobble at 35/40 mph. Never experienced this with the D-250 or the Avon. A Super-brace was recommended. Does it really work? and is it worth the time and money?

Mr. Peabody

GL1800

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The posts on the super brace here and on other forums is pretty mixed, a few say it helps several say it didn't. Most if not all of these posts weren't for the 1800 though.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the tip. I'll do some reading and see what others are saying about the super brace. They cost about $170.00. I never experienced this many problems with my 1500, or my 1100, or my other bikes. Perhaps its time say good-by to the 1800 and either findanother 1500, or buy a KL 1200 or a H/D Classic.

Mr. Peabody

GL1800

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.