Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are being forced to use convoluted passwords and from some posts user names are being rejected as not being convoluted enough yet email address are being accepted as user names.:surprise:
Simply not accepting @ as part of a user name would fix this.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
you are misinformed Ken,

the username can be anything they wish, as long as it is not a duplicate.

the newbies are miscontruing what is going on, they are interpreting the bad password as a "bad username", and that is just not so....

I used a different browser and tested that repeatedly, and it is the password that is convoluted to enter, not the username. it can be as short as 4 characters if that is what they want.

look at this new sign on

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/11-new-members-introduction-forum/660402-hello-ken-bergen.html

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts

·
Administrator
1,116 Posts
We could prevent users from using @ as part of a username to prevent emails from being used. Bit of protection against user error. What do you think AZgl1800?

Kevin

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
We could prevent users from using @ as part of a username to prevent emails from being used. Bit of protection against user error. What do you think AZgl1800?

Kevin

Yes,

I now think that would be a VERY GOOD idea.
We need to preclude any and all attempts at using an email address as the "UserName" and there needs to be a warning message to that effect that will popup BEFORE they ever get a chance to enter the password.... this is what is wrong now, they can skip right thru the username entry to the password and the current popup message does NOT indicate the Real Problem.

We must test each entry separately, New Registrants do NOT have mental telepathy.

When the @ symbol is detected, please cause that to immediately bring up this Message:

Email Addresses are not acceptable as UserNames.

You must enter a unique ( to the forum ) UserName of 4 or more characters, Upper or Lowercase, your choice. This has nothing to do with your Password.

This needs to be implemented on Every Forum that Motorcycle.com owns....
We are NOT unique with this situation, I see it everywhere....

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
The "@" symbol is now restricted from being used as a username.
BUT, you did NOT tell them why??

that is not going to work very well.

you need to post immediately the message that I provided just above, when the @ symbol is detected..... look at this

the message says "if you are [email protected]" click here and .......

that is no good. that lets them think that email is a valid name....

make it right, not a klutz solution

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,116 Posts
The invalidation of a username does not discriminate why it's invalid which is why both reasons are there in the message "in use or invalid" It would give the same message if you tried to sign up with the name Administrator

Kyle

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
The invalidation of a username does not discriminate why it's invalid which is why both reasons are there in the message "in use or invalid" It would give the same message if you tried to sign up with the name Administrator

Kyle

I think he said "I don't know how to do that with the software I have."

I could be mistaken.

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
Join Date: Nov 2017, which is long before the restriction was implemented.
So who pays any attention to that, except you looking for something to gig me with? The intro post was dated yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Personally, I say handle them by a case by case basis. People will get smart and some have found a way around the @ symbol just by using the word "at"...... I would make it a rule that emails or any resemblance of an email can not be used. There will never be an end to scammers, never.....

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
I don't allow them either, I force them to change it.

if they don't reply on the forum, I change it to the first part of the name they use, then email them the new name....
after that, it is up to them.

so far, that has a 100% success rate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts