Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Rode 76 to church wednesday night. Went to start to come home, and fuel had apparently leaked past carbs, and flooded a cylinder. Wouldn't crank. Bumped it a few times, and it spun. Cranks for a bit was wide open throttle to clear it out, and it started. Sounded fine, but oil light stayed on. Shut of and restared a couple of times. Oil level fine.

Couldn't leave it there overnight, so rode it the 3 block to a relatives house for safe keeping.

Going back tonight to take a closer look. Will have to go another time to trailer it home, but wanted to see if the group had a pointer to look at that maybe I'm jsut blind to.

JimD

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Sticky float syndrome ??? Check the tank/filter for rust debris that may cause float to stick open. If the oil level and lack of gas oder were fine you may have caught it early... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

Fuel diluted oil making it to thin, change oil and filter that should help.

Oh don't ride any more till you do.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

sounds like gas in th oil. How did you manage to get it to turn over with hydo locked cyclinder . Perhaps you bumped it backwards and drained some of the gas out. not good to try to bump start it with hydolocked cyclinder can bend a rod. best to pull a plug and spin it over and let gas shoot out spark hole
Wilf

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would first change the oil, noting if there is gas in it. If there is, you found you problem, and hopefully there is no damage. If there isn't, replace the oil pressure sending unit. I have never had an engine lose oil pressure, but I have had lights come on and gauges read too low several times. It was ALWAYS the oil pressure sending unit.

I guess I should feel fortunate that I have fuel injection, and this kind of thing can't happen. Still, the Goldwing is the only bike I believe I have ever owned where this sort of thing was even possible. I currently have 3 other motorcycles, and the carbs on all three have an overflow drain on the carb/s, where gas will drain out on the ground before it gets high enough to run into the cylinders.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

If I recall correctly, I put bumped it 2 times. Then put it in neutral, and bumped again and it turned.
It has done it before, and I usually turn the fuel off, but was distracted when I arrived. It was one of those situations where I "had" to get going. It was almost 9:00 pm, and my 14 yr old son was on his bike with me. In Oklahoma, he can't ride after 9. Any longer and we would have had a second bike to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

When I sold my '76 to a friend,it developed a flooding condition like yours after letting it sit for a while. We wound up taking the carbs apart a few times until we were able to correct what seemed to be a moving problem. First carb#2 was flooding, once we corrected that #3 started to act up. Some how the float became sticky and would dump gas into the cylinder. After several attempts we were able to get it working like it should. The rebuild kits he bought weren't the best, but did he job. As far as the oil pressure light, if the motor wasn't making any more noise then usual your probably good. You rarely hear of oil pumps going on wings. Might just be coincidence it started acting up at the same time as the carbs did.,,

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Update -
Did oil and filter, no change. In fact, I think I hear a knock. I will get it on a trailer and get it home in the next couple of days.
Bummer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.