Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just replaced my alternator with a 95AMP EMS alternator. During instalation I noticed that the small little round barrel that mounts on the battery cable attachment/alternator housing,could not be mounted on this alternator. I called EMS to clearify and the guy said I did not need this item. However, he did not appear to have very good knowledge of the subject soI thought I just mount it like he said and check it out. Well, sure s...., I now have alternator noise in the intercom and wonder if any of you guys have a solution. If memory serves me right, Wayne has mentioned that this little "barrel" is for noise reduction to the CB. :?

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Find a ignition capacitor from a old Points ignition system and mount it. The pig tail to the outlet and the body to the body of the alternator.

Capacitors do not pass DC current only AC. Therefore the AC causing the hum can be shorted to ground.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That simple? That would be awesome, thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

No guarantee but we use capacitors by the ton to keep AC noise out of two way radio systems or other radio receivers. My guess is that alternator does not have a capacitor in it like older ones had.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.