Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am an electrical engineer with considerable controls experience. It frustrates me every time my car (or bike) doesn't work exactly the way I think it should.

It frustrates me even more because I know that it is well within the capabilities of the computer(s) and software ALREADY in the vehicle to make the operation of the controls and displayed data user configurable.

there is one example of user configurability I'm aware of on fords; you can cancel the "auto lock" function (which is extremely annoying) by going thru a procedure in the owners manual.

Consider some examples:
1. I live up north and have a remote starter for my car. However, the heated seats, even if they were on when the car was shut off, don't turn on automatically when the car is started remotely. why can't I change that?

2. the windsheild on my FJR always returns to it's lowest position when the engine is shut off. why can't I change that?

3. the data display on my FJR doesn't have an "oil change" or "tire replace" odometer. why not? why can't I configure a trip meter with a label for the function I want.

4. why don't I have an ambient temp display. the ECU knows ambient temps

there are many similar examples. A smart OEM would engineer the software and displays with all the functions a user might want and then let the user select operation and display preferences.

Honda; are you listening?

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
imported post

Be patient, it will come. Notice how auto manufacturers (motorcycles not so much) will add some upgrade every year when they could have added more. A little at a time so they can tout something new on a new year model. Then they only add it to the top of the line model and the next year it will come on the lower priced units while they add another new feature to the top of the line. Just smart marketing.
The 1800s have an ambient temp display for example, I just wish it was on the screen all the time instead of having to push a button to get it.
I detest maintenance reminders.

Me, I'm up to my eyeballs in new technology, I want a return to simple.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.