Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just broke down and bought/recieved vacume gauges to set/balance carbs on my 82 GL1100.

Useing my old engine analizer (Sears Robuck Model) to set the idle it read twice the RPM that the bikes tach did. My brother thinks it was because of the bikes magneto type spark.

Any answers and where can I find a dwell/tach that will work.

I still need to time it before winter.

Dwight

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

No magneto... since the bike doesn't have four coils (it has two), and does not have a distributer like a car,it has a wasted spark. Every timea piston moves to the top of its stroke the spark plug fires.

#1 and #2 pistons arrive at TDC at the same time, and #3 and 4 doit while #1 and #2 are at BDC... it doesn't matter if it's the top of the compression stroke or exhaust stroke, the plugs fire.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A lot of automobiles are using 'wasted spark' ignition systems to get away from distributors. I guess you'll just have to get used to reading twice the rpms on that old Sears meter.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

unsteadyrider wrote:
Just broke down and bought/recieved vacume gauges to set/balance carbs on my 82 GL1100.

Useing my old engine analyzer (Sears Robuck Model) to set the idle it read twice the RPM that the bikes tach did. My brother thinks it was because of the bikes magneto type spark.

Any answers and where can I find a dwell/tach that will work.

I still need to time it before winter.

Dwight
Dwight, either use the 8 cylinder position, or 4 cylinder 2-cycle position (if your analyzer has that setting).. You analyzer is looking for 4 sparks per every 2 engine revolutions (standard car type reading) & your (GoldWing)engine is producing8 sparks per every 2 revolutions..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys. 59 old and this is the first time I've heard the term "Wasted spark".

I did wonder why I couldn't find a distributer. Thought maybe up under inside something.

That would also explain why the Cymers shows timing both sides seperatly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.