Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have a 79 gl 1100 can i take that engine and put it in a1982 model.thanx for any help you give.this looks like a really great site

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well, the 79 is a 1000 cc engine, where as the 82 is a 1100 cc engine. As far a demensions, they are the same basic block, but the gl1000 engine uses points, (unless it was converted to Dyna ignition) where as the 82 has a CDI ignition, so you will have problems with the wiring harness, which would be the biggest problem, and the gearing is different on both engines, so the gl1000 might not like the gear ratio of the 82 differental, the 82 carbs are different, but could be used on the earlier engine. It would make more sense to put the 82 engine in the earlier frame, that would be considered an upgrade, where as what you are proposing would be considered a downgrade. But it would work, if you wanted it to.:) Welcome to the forum!:cool:

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

this is an 1100 in the last months of 79 production honda used the 1100. you can believe this caused a lot of confusion when i was ordering parts especially clutch cables, and you are right it does have points,i had not considered that

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Gene is spot on, whilst the engine will fit the frame, there were several other issues that make it difficult (not impossible-but difficult) and, then add in the fact the 78-9's were the poorest performers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.