Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Bought a used 99 SE 1500.
Ran fine for many months. Then left me stranded.
First clue was that the radio stopped . Showed as 'on' at the dash but no sound.
2 miles later ...DEAD
Clicks like bad battery.
OK no biggie. Get a new battery from local Battery Warehouse.
Cleaned and shined terminals.

Cranks over like normal. Checked charging voltage: 14.3 at a slightly fast idle.

Take it for a spin. Put on 25ish miles(40Minutes about)
Same thing.
Radio stopped first. Then coasted to a halt. Dash lites are dim and "clicky, clicky click at the starter button.

I doubt that the original battery was really bad. But I know that there can't be good odds that the replacement one is bad too.

Have not done any real in depth diagnostic yet.
Just looking for a direction.

Any clue from the collective mind set?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not too much to work on yet on this intermittent problem. How do you get it restarted after it quits? Does it restart right away okay after you turn the key off and on? That could indicate a problem with the bank angle sensor and or relay 6 or fuse 11. It might be useful to take a careful look at both main fuses, A & B. Especially B. It's a fusible link and those have been known to develope hairline cracks, then they can heat up a bit from the current running through them and open up. Later as they cool they can restore contact. I'd suggest connecting a voltmeter to the end of fuse B on the side that's not connected to the battery and watch it to see what happens when the bike dies. Relay 6 and fuse 11 look like possible areas that might figure in this problem, since they appear to control the alternator output.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery and could be worn or stuck brushes, or at worst, a bad stator. After recharging the battery and getting the bike running again, check the output of the alternator and see if it is putting out 14+ volts. If so, then check all connections. If not, you will probably need to pull the alternator and repair or replace it. It is not uncommon for the brushes to wear with 75,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

:waving:I had the same type of problem on a trip few years back. Bike had about 80,000 miles on it. Took into a Honda dealer in east Texas and they couldn't find anything wrong. About 200 miles later, same thing again, battery low, wouldn't start.:crying: Removed some fuses to get rid of light load and left Louisiana with piggy backed battery from the saddlebagtraveling to Houston. Katy Honda fixed it the next day. Worn brushes in the alternator, making part of the time, part time not. They said for me to expect brushes to last around 50,000 miles.:baffled: I replaced brushes again at around 100,000 miles, worn some but not worn out.
Hope this helps and you get it fixed. Bummer to leave and not know if you are going to get back.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Good on the hairline crack...will check that.
Had no idea.

Kinda' figured it has to be something heat/vibration related.

Big thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks cannonball,

I am getting good charge output at idle but I now suspect that it may be a different story at hot/running.

Will need to strap a meter to it and go for a spin (preferably VERY close to home)

I am wearing out my welcome with friends with trailers.

'Preciate the reply.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Big thanks to Wichita,

I wanted to believe that I am not the only person to experience this prob ever before.

Will maybe have to leave the bike home til I can get it fixed proper.
Had a rally in Kentucky that starts next week.
Don't think I will make it on 2 wheels.

Might have to settle for 4.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

yeah brushes or full alt toast

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I found that a local automotive alternator shop was able to order parts and rebuild my alternator.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You didn't say what the condition of your new battery was once the bike died with it in service. Did it still have a charge or did it die too? It still looks like a charge system failure could be the alternator, or the other areas I already mentioned.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Yup exavid,

It is looking like the alternator.

Problem is that no one has one for pickup tomorrow.
I may be able to rebuild mine but don't have time for that right now.

Leaving for a rally in Kentucky Wed June 10th.

If I can not fix and test it in reasonable time for departure then I am not going to take the chance it is /isnt fixed.

Found a dealer 3.5 hours away that has the CompuFire unit ready to go.

So that is the way I am leaning.

This will give me time to rebuilt mine at a later date.

I guess 77ooo miles ain't bad for an alternator.

Thank you for your input.
Everyone has been most helpful.

This is my first Wing and its all new to me.
Knew my old bike upside and down. Different bike ...different probs.

Oh well...it keeps life interesting.

And hey, at $550 for an alternator...I am doing my part to stimulate the economy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.