Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been toying with the idea of flushing the engine. What is the group experience with this task? I have an '89 GL1500 with 50,000 miles on a rebuilt engine...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

I personally never liked the idea of dumping a lot of solvent in a motor, especially one with a wet clutch. If you feel the need or desire, just change the oil more often.

·
350 Posts
imported post

From my experience and what other members have done, remove 4-6 oz of engine oil then pour4-6 oz of Seafoam into the engine . then go for a 100 mile continous ride get back home let the bike cool then change the oil and filter..I prefer to use DELO 400LE 15w-40.........DOC :thumbsup:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Engine flush solvents can be bad for old engines with some wear. You should take precautions, the best one is to only use a small amount of flushing solvent, not the full bottle. Dont ride the bike with the solvent, just let it tick over for a while. Then make sure to drain the oil and refill with new oil, and replace the filter.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you!I haven't ever done it and I hadn't run across anyone who was really gung ho. The Seafoam idea is a good one.

·
350 Posts
imported post

Heffo wrote:
Engine flush solvents can be bad for old engines with some wear. You should take precautions, the best one is to only use a small amount of flushing solvent, not the full bottle. Dont ride the bike with the solvent, just let it tick over for a while. Then make sure to drain the oil and refill with new oil, and replace the filter.
Many of us on this forum have done this with great results and no problems

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Modern oils are pretty good and with a GL1500 capable of 200,000 miles between overhauls with decent maintenance, why not just give it decent, routine maintenance?

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I agree with the regular maintenence like changing oil regularly is all you need. Loosening up a piece of crud, and sending it through the oil galleys could be the same as a blood clot working its way through your aterys to your heart.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Heffo wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with Heffo.

I did it once on my 1200. I put some MMO in it and took it for a ride. After about fifty miles I started hearing some really loud knocking noises. I rode it home easy. After I drained and refilled it with fresh oil fortunately the noise went away.

I never did that again.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I would sugest ATF. it is lube and good cleanner.
wilf

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

I have used ATF in a car before without issue.
As for the solvent, when you drain the oil and pull the filter you leave up to a pint of oil or more scattered in the engine (that is why the 'overhaul' amount for fill is more than a 'maintenance' drain/filter change). That means that in order to do it right if you want to use the solvent:
Dump it in. Run motor desired length of time not under load (no riding).
Drain and remove filter. New filter and oil fill.
Run it. Then drain and refill with another new filter.
Otherwise you have up to a pint or so of solvent contaminated oil mixed in for your next 3000 leave in oil. That is the main reason I do not do it anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.