Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yesterday, while adjusting my exhaust valve rocker arm collars, I discovered that I could not get my engine guards off without first dropping the headers. The big end brackets would not come up between the headers. I was able to rotate them enough to get the valve covers off so just did the job and replaced everything.Then I started to read, here and in my book. Not much here about it but the Haynes manual says that the two guards are joined to each other under the engine. Do they mean joined by the long crossbolt between the lower engine mount?

Can any 84 aspy owners get the guards off without dropping the headers, or do I have an abomination??

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

That's just the way it is on the 1200. You have to wangle the headers and engine guards together to get them out. Just remember not to fully bolt either back in place until they are all lined up right.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Just found this out myself. Trying to change the water pump on my 84 Interstate. It's going to take me longer to get all the "stuff" off the bike ( guards, fairing lowers, rad, faux tank, seat) than it will to change the pump. Might as well do the timing belts since I'm in there (73,000 km on the engine). I figure 2-3 evenings of disassembly, 1 evening of replacing pump / belts and 2 more evenings of reassembly. First time is always the worst.

Todd

1984 Wineberry Interstate

1971 Datsun 240z

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info Hawker, Just about to do my valve covers as well. guess I'll budget a little extra time.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

toddz240 wrote:
Just found this out myself. Trying to change the water pump on my 84 Interstate. It's going to take me longer to get all the "stuff" off the bike ( guards, fairing lowers, rad, faux tank, seat) than it will to change the pump. Might as well do the timing belts since I'm in there (73,000 km on the engine). I figure 2-3 evenings of disassembly, 1 evening of replacing pump / belts and 2 more evenings of reassembly. First time is always the worst.

Todd

1984 Wineberry Interstate

1971 Datsun 240z
You have it figured out just the way it is! Enjoy! Now you'll appreciate why the shops charge so much for simple sounding jobs.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Of all the jobs you plan to do, water pump is the hardest. I'd do that job first to get it out of the way, then the timing belts. Everything else is plain sailing compared to that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.