Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When starting with the choke on what is a good RPM to warm up your engine, and how long should you let it rev at that speed? When Ipush my choke in as the temp gauge rises my idle speed is about 1400 rpm. I lowered it to around 950 rpm but it didn't run that well so I moved it back. The previous owner said he always let it idle between 1100 -1400 rpm when it is warm.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hi tommyrich, when starting a cold engine it's always best for the engine to keep the RPM's as low as possible until the oil circulates thouroughly. I always try to just use enough choke to keep the engine running then once it will run without the choke I use the trhottle lock to maintain about 1200 RPM for warmup. This helps to keep the spark plugs a little cleaner.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

tommyrich wrote:
When starting with the choke on what is a good RPM to warm up your engine, and how long should you let it rev at that speed? When Ipush my choke in as the temp gauge rises my idle speed is about 1400 rpm. I lowered it to around 950 rpm but it didn't run that well so I moved it back. The previous owner said he always let it idle between 1100 -1400 rpm when it is warm.
tommyrich, you didn't say what you are riding & that could makea big difference.

By the RPM's you furnished it sounds like maybe a 1100 or 1200 Honda Wing?

If so the manual says:

50°-95°F- immediately after starting the engine operate the choke to maintain 1,500-2,500 RPM's.

50°F or below- maintain 2,500-3,500 RPM's

On the idle speed? Again that depends on the motorcycle. On My 1200 Wing I set the idle to 1100 RPM's moderately warm & 1140 hot after 1 hour of running. Problem with the earlier Wings is they just don't charge the battery at a slow idle so anything under 1000 or so gives you a battery discharge with the cooling fan & brake lights on.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tommyrich wrote:
The lowest you can get a steady idle is where I'd set it. As it warms up you can lower it some more. My 1500 will run 2000rpm when started with full choke, I immediately lower it to 1500rpm for a minute or two and then drop it to 1000. I don't like a long warm up either, not more than a minute or two which is enough to get the oil moving. As soon as I get moving and don't have a stop sign ahead for a half mile, the choke comes off. If you don't have to make a bunch of stops and starts you can pull the choke off sooner since there won't be any problem with hesitating.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

My warm up procedure is the same as Pauls on my 1500. You still didn't say what model you have tommyrich. Is it a secret? :?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I'm sorry everybody, I have an 1980 GL1100. that my brother gave :)to me 3 years ago. I had never been on a bike before that but 50000 km later my wife and I can't get enough riding in. The bike has now 100000 Km on it and needs some minor work that I hope the forum can at times help me with. Thanks for being so friendly to a newbie.:waving:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.