Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a brand new GL1800 which has now done less than 1000km. The immobiliser won't turn off so I can't start it.

It is a long weekend here in Australia and I am not going to be able to get it to a dealer for a few days so I was wondering if there was some trick to getting it to turn off.

It has something to do with the key. The handbook says take the key out and put it back in and after 60 seconds the red light should turn off. It does not.

It winds over as if it has no fuel/flat battery so I assume the problem is the engine immobiliser (and the immobiliser light stays on so that's a pretty big hint).

Maybe I should have bought the BMW if a Honda breaks down after so short a time

Cheers

House

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

:) Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the world wide web!

I have no idea what you are talking about as I have a 1500 but I'm sure one these great gurus on here will give you great advice!:waving:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

If by immobilizer you mean locking mechinism of the forks, just move the forks using the handle bar while turning the key. When there is pressure against this lock the key will not turn freely. By the way,:action::action::action::action:Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!:action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for your response. The problem was that the new Godwing has an engine immobiliser so that if you have wrong key etc, it does not turn over. The fuel pump does not work so sounds a bit like a flat battery or the fuel pump is not working. It just turns over but does not start.

The "trick" was that we have just put on some bling from Showchrome which included a "chrome" ring around the key.

It turns out that the metal on the chrome ring affects the immobiliser sensor.

It is around where the key goes in and the chrome was affecting it so it did not read the key.

We only found this out after we took it 100km on a trailer back to the dealer so the long weekend ride did not happen.

I had suggested to my partner that it might be that chrome ring as it worked before and he took it off and it still would not start..........but perhaps he needed to take the key out and re-inserted it after he took the chrome ring off.

He has fixed the problem by grinding off that part of the chrome ring that went down like a collar around the circle where the key is inserted so we still have a chrome dish aroung the extended area.

Thanks for your advice - it was not the problem this time however.

Cheers

Jo

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Talk about a solution looking for a problem...

Not the chrome, Honda.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.