Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, after many months of waiting and a lot of hard work my ex USA 1992 1500 Interstate looks a million dollars. So after getting it road legal for New Zealand I have been putting on the miles as weather and time permit. It must be the most fun possible with your clothes on. There are a couple of points I would like to raise however.I find it very difficult to read the blue kphfigures on the speedometer as they are secondary to the mph figures and are very small and would appreciate it if anyone has aspeedo with kph as the primary figures they would like tosell could please get in touch with me. Second point is the engine kill switch.I cannot be the only one to have been caught out with this. I was sitting at lights in peak hour traffic waiting for green when the engine died. After trying to start the engine I pushed the bike to the roadsideand after a glance around noticed the postion of the switch, a quick flick and all was well. I must have caught the switch with my gloves and not felt it. Is this switch really needed and are there members out there that have disabled this switch, if so how.

Regards to all,

John S.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

cbhon,

Glad to hear you're on the road!:clapper: I also enjoy riding every day.:dude:

I have been caught myself with the kill switch on. Kinda gives you asick feeling when your ride suddenly dies and or won't start! Whenever I do it, the first thing I think is"I'M GONNA DISABLE THAT SWITCH"! but then I cool off and realize it's my own fault, and I do occasionally use that switch. I almost always use the key though to shut down. Thats probably why I'm always so surprised when I find the switch off!

I have decided that it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.:shock:

As for the kph I can't help you.My :11grey:has the digital dash and converts at the push of a button. If I ever had to get used to kph instead of mph with a standard gauge, I'm sure it would be at the expense of several speeding tickets!:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

cbhon wrote:
I cannot be the only one to have been caught out with this. I was sitting at lights in peak hour traffic waiting for green when the engine died. After trying to start the engine I pushed the bike to the roadsideand after a glance around noticed the position of the switch, a quick flick and all was well. I must have caught the switch with my gloves and not felt it. Is this switch really needed and are there members out there that have disabled this switch, if so how.

Regards to all,

John S.
Do a search on 'Fools paradise" on the general discussion forum and you will find you're just one of many! REDWING was designated "Kill Switch Guru" at one time over this very thing. I wouldn't disable the switch. There are times when you want to crank your engine with the starter without the engine starting such as in a compression test. Just about every motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, Jetski, etc., is built with a kill switch, there's a reason! Best thing to do is to get over the chagrin, as time goes by you won't do it as much. Also eventually if the bike doesn't start right away you will remember the switch. At least you didn't take out the tools to get it going again.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I agree with Paul. Keep the switch and just make yurself more aware of it being there.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

If you adjusted the switch gear assembly slightly either towards or away from you, would this put your kill switch out of harms way

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Keep the switch, if you ever need it you will realize its value,,,sometimes in a crash the engine will be hung wide open, this could happen from other things also, throttle cables binding ect. ,,,I have had this happen to me before on other bikes, it is not very funny when you are standing there waiting for it to explode.

dean_3326 :12red:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Keep the switch, if you ever need it you will realize its value,,,sometimes in a crash the engine will be hung wide open, this could happen from other things also, throttle cables binding ect. ,,,I have had this happen to me before on other bikes, it is not very funny when you are standing there waiting for it to explode.
I agree, I landed in a ditch years ago on a Kawasaki. I was trapped under the bike (minor scratches fortunately) and I never realised how high the engine could rev. It was screaming at me and the back wheel and the chain was doing a good job of cutting the grass. I just hit the kill switch and that was that, couldn't get to the ignition key as it was on the down side of the bike.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks to all that replied.

Well it looks like the kill switch will stay and hopefully I will remember in future to look at it first instead of last. Have been offereda speedo from Canada. Suns out, off for another run. Once again thanks to everyone. Take care.

Regards to all

John S

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

So now we have six Kill Switch "Gurus" AZWinger :clapper:exavid :clapper: FitzAl :clapper: JOHNO :clapper: dean_3326 :clapper: and GWEddie :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
So now we have six Kill Switch "Gurus" AZWinger :clapper:exavid :clapper: FitzAl :clapper: JOHNO :clapper: dean_3326 :clapper: and GWEddie :clapper:
The worst of it is that I'll manage to forget it again sometime in the future.Most likely with a large crowd looking on

When I first learned to fly, I could do perfect touch and goes all day with not a soul around, but just let the damned thing bounce and a crown would miraculously appear!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
but just let the damned thing bounce and a crown would miraculously appear!
Hey what about the spell check. :whip:

:stumped: :18red: :stumped:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
exavid wrote:
but just let the damned thing bounce and a crown would miraculously appear!
Hey what about the spell check. :whip:
Unfortunately the spell check let that one through. I need a "what I meant check"!

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:shock: To add to this discussion, I always use my kill switch before I shut off the ignition. This is for safety. You have both hands on the bars with complete control. I kill the engine, make sure the side stand is down and then dismount to the left. Then turn the wheel and shut off the ignition and lock the steering at the same time. By shutting the engine down this way, you don't have to worry about if you forgot to put the bike in neutral or loosing your balance reaching across.

When I get back on the bike, I turn the ignition on, pull up the side stand, turn the kill switch to on and hit the starter. I learned this procedure in the advance cycle safety course and it's become second nature to me.

:baffled:I also dropped my bike the other day due tostupidity. I forgot to secure my helmet and thought the side stand was down. Went to lean the bike over and it went way over. I just hit the kill switch and then got off the bike. It was easier than trying to play with the ignition switch, by just a little bit.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I turn the ignition on, pull up the side stand, turn the kill switch to on and hit the starter. I learned this procedure in the advance cycle safety course

so maybe you need to talk to your Advance instructors and get:- "Secure and adjust helmet" added to the begining of your routine!!!!!!!!!!:gunhead::D:D:D:D

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Another KILL SWITCH "GURU" added to the list "JerryK"

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.