Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just purchased the bike and I know the carbs need cleaned out. It doesn't want to idle unless at 1500 RPM and when I let it get below that the engine will knock. Could this be just misfiring because of the carbs clogged? When I get it on the highway and get it over the idle problem, it rides nice and gets up and goes well. It has 34,000 miles on it. Any answers will help me. Thanks. Larry

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum LARRYB. What you describe is the classic noise from the primary chain as the motor idles rough.( actually all 4 cyl. trying to run at differrent speed or power strokefrom each other due to faulty fuel mixture on one or more carbs.) Should be able to idle at 1050-1100smoothly when in tune. Low speed circuits in carbs probally dirty. Before tear down, try running some Seafoamadditive thru a couple of tanks of fuel.Lots of members swear by it. Quite sure you will be hearing from others shortly. Again welcome to the Best Forum for Goldwings :waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thank you for your reply back. As a matter of fact, my 1977 CB750 would knock like a slap-back till I redid the carbs and synchronized them when it would idle rough. I really love this forum and I have never ridden a Goldwing till this one and had I of known it was a Cadillac of bikes, I would have got one earlier in life!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

S&S= Seafoam and sync.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I bet the knocking sound is due to poor carb sync, not a primary chain. Knocking with out of sync carbs at idle and suddenly opened throttle is typical for the four cylinder 'Wings is common and specially noticeable on the 1100s for some reason.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

yeah mine did the same thing when i first bought it sounded like it was going to come apart shook and made a clacking sound

took it down and got the carbs synced and cleaned and it made the world of diffrence got to let it warm up for a few minutes before taking off tho

i paid 350 bucks to have the service shop i normally use to fix my problem

they pulled the carbs totally dissambled, rebuilt, tuned reinstalled, and sync'd bike sat for a few years

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
imported post

I have an 1100 and the dreaded knock too.

I bought it, brought it home and started it up. When I heard that, I thought damn I got snookered cause I didn't hear it when the PO started and ran it.

I was relieved when I heard it was not uncommon.

Carb rebuild!

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,949 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I bet the knocking sound is due to poor carb sync, not a primary chain. Knocking with out of sync carbs at idle and suddenly opened throttle is typical for the four cylinder 'Wings is common and specially noticeable on the 1100s for some reason.
The knocking is the primary chain slapping because the carbs are out of sync. A "well tuned" 4 cylinder winghas very littleknock or rattle and will idle smoothly.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
exavid wrote:
The knocking is the primary chain slapping because the carbs are out of sync. A "well tuned" 4 cylinder winghas very littleknock or rattle and will idle smoothly.
Yea, like mine!!:D:D:D:D No knock, no rattle.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I rescued mine out of a guy's back pasture that had been sitting for ~6 years. Got it home, discovered it wouldn't idle and had a bad knock. After initially freaking out thinking it was the rods or bearings, people on here reassured me the carbs needed an overhaul.

Bottom line, the tank sediment had jammed the bowl inlet microscreens to the point the carbs were starving for fuel. After a Randakk rebuild and numerous carb synchs, it runs fine, if a little rattly.
Still miss my VFR though, now THAT'S some power. Someday I'll get a GL1800.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.