Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm new to the goldwing community, but not to bikes. I bought an 1982 GL1100A. I've been over the entire bike once. Valve clearance adjustment, oil change, timing belt change, etc., but haven't messed with the carbs. I noticed on cold starts, Florida cold (75 deg F) there is an occasional popping from the cylinders, no smoke. After 10 seconds it's gone. I haven't been using the choke here. Having nothing to compare it too, is this normal for this engine?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't be too worried about it, if the bike runs well otherwise. BTW welcome to the forum. :byebye:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not really normal to have popping on a cold start. I'm not too clear exactly popping is. Backfiring? Missing? It might be difficult to do much about if it only lasts for 10 seconds. Try using the choke on start up and see what that does.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Welcome to GWfacts.com!

I agree with "exavid" try a half choke and then a full choke even though it's 75 degrees and see if it pops? Let us know !

Not all Bikes run the same (quirks) try changing your octane after each tank !

should run regular 89 oct but see if it pops with a dlfferent octane ?

What brand and size plugs are you running?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

by popping I mean missing, I'll try the choke. I wasn't sure if i needed it in FL. Let you know how it goes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

You're welcome from all of us and thanks for the final report so we can learn also !

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

having a 1000 and a 1200 I know that cold starts (and oklahoma summers are anything but cold) they both run jerky for the first bit, playing with the chock helps, but wings have been known to be "cold natured" at start-up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.