Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 85 1200 started missing a little the other day in high gear with a bit of a load on it , I tried fuel conditioner and some high test fuel and still I can get it to miss only under load ,thought maybe bad gas but could it be my plugs? I put new ones in last year, or maybe something else , any help would help , thanks.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

My 1200 used to cough if I selected OD with low rpms ( lugging the engine ). If thats not it, what worked for me was, to add a bottle of STP carb cleaner to the last couple of gallons of gas in the tank and run that out and refill with fresh gas, this cleaned out the carbs. It doesnt take much to gum them up. The other thing that helped was a new set of plugs, dont be fooled by the way the old ones look, mine looked great but one was bad and thats all it takes.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Seafoam.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

New plugs should help alot. My 1200 owners manual maintainance schedule calls for new plugs evry 4000 miles..... which I find is way too often. I replace mine twice a year. Many, just new plugs at the beginning of the season. The owners manual says 8000 miles on an oil change, and 4000 on the plugs......... I find that strange. I run oil to 3000 miles and plugs about 7-8000 miles. Bagmaster suggests Seafoam in with the fuel, and I second that. Seafoam is very good for clearing carbs and carbon fouling from the cylinders and valves. Try a half can of seafoam with a tank of gas, and then as preventive maintainance, use 1.5 ounce to each gallon of fuel. This should help....... if not, it may be getting time to pull carbs and manually clean them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.