Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 84 GL1200A and once in a while I hear a tapping noise from the left valve cover. Almost sounds like a lifter in a car. Is there any kind of oil addative I can use or do I need to tear it down? any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Since its an overhead cam engine my first guess would be you may have a weak valve spring. There are some good threads here and some guys have made some neat tools out of unistrut to do the job fairly easily with the heads on. If you go that far check them all for height and replace the stem seals while you are at it. To be honest I had that problem and after I did my new belts and went to the Mobil 1 20/50 MC oil I have not heard it again.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if its not a lound think i would say its normal most 1200s i've heard do that.

usually if you use a very light oil it will cause that noise.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Does it run? If so, don't worry too much about it. My '84 talks a little too but uses no oil and runs perfectly.
Bobby

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

As already said. Don't worry about it. It's just talking to you.

If it gets bad it can usually be quieted by centering the cam. The procedure can be found in the Honda manual and takes a couple hours to do.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

10-4 on all the above, as Dennis said,it's just talking to you and sometimes it's in a better mood and sometimes it's a little cranky ! :banana:

Jim

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would use definitely use 20w50 oil, and since the 1200 has hydraulic lifters like a car, they could be gummed up a bit. I would try a little Seafoam in the oil. Theoretically hydraulic lifters are supposed to run with zero lash, but if they get partially plugged up, they may not pump up properly, or if they are badly worn, they could be leaking, which would cause the same problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.