Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got hold of an '82 GL1100 standard with 54k miles (USA) on the clock.

Now, please let me preamble all this with... I know my way around most car engines - I built street rods for a good number of years.

The 'Wing has a knock. It's subtle at idle and increases the warmer the engine is. Yet... oddly, it *seems* to go away at speed. When cold I don't hear it at all.

If this were one of the engines I'm used to dealing with I'd say it was a low-oil-pressure-induced rod knock.

Are the GLs prone to this sort of thing? What's the normal oil pressure on these engines? I haven't hooked up a guage yet, but I do have one on order.

I should note I have an appointment scheduled to have a dealer look over the bike with focus on noises and such.

So, if the engine is kaput (or on its way) I guess that firms up this winter's project for me :)

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Why not try the easy things first? The GL1100 will knock when the carburettors are not balanced, set them up first and then listen. If it still knocks then you can look further into it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Interesting. Definitely sounds pretty mechanical in nature to me, but it makes sense. That's one of the things the Dealer is going to do for me... sync the carbs. *Hopefully* that's the fix.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Poor gas can make odd knocking noises. I know with my 82 I can tell when I have 94octane and when I've been scammed with low 88 octane. There have been times when I thought I had a serious issues with my motor, where it was the gas that was the problem.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Poor gas can make odd knocking noises. I know with my 82 I can tell when I have 94octane and when I've been scammed with low 88 octane. There have been times when I thought I had a serious issues with my motor, where it was the gas that was the problem.

Good point Kyle. No-one else thought of that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.