Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode the bike last night and now today when trying to start it up I now have a hard metal tinging/clanking noise. Can anyone help with what this sound could be? Had no issues last night. Below is a link to a video of it....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know the last time the belts were changed. I just picked up the bike and it is a 1991 that has been kept in climate controlled storage and only has 10,000 miles. I removed the lower right cover and can see the belt (can only see one side) looks to be in good condition. I turned the motor over by hand and was able to get recreate the noise again....

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That is nasty,broken belt I think,one should make changing belts before cranking after setting a long time.

Reactions: trike lady

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the covers off and everything looks to be aligned correctly and new belts installed. Any other ideas? I am able to turn the engine over by hand and have now heard it on both sides. When it makes the noise it is not consistent. Potentially a stuck lifter or similar?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Is the video with the bike on the centerstand,I wonder if the driveshaft might have failed and that’s what you hear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was originally not on the side stand when i heard it but then I moved it onto the stand to start taking it apart. Sounds like it's coming from the front of the bike.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Look around the alternator area,the rubber dampers may have failed and it makes the sound sound like it’s coming from elsewhere,pull the clutch in and try that

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The lifter lost its prime,put some sea foam in the oil and rune it,might reprime,looks like it’s not a unknown on 1500,is your oil need changed,most likely hav3 to replace the lifter

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
huum I don’t quite understand why a valve would be bent,if it loses lifter the spring would keep the vavlve closed?

·
Administrator
28,963 Posts
The lifter lost its prime,put some sea foam in the oil and rune it,might reprime,looks like it’s not a unknown on 1500,is your oil need changed,most likely hav3 to replace the lifter
Big difference between a stuck valve and a lifter not lifting.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
So which one was it🤷🏻‍♀️
sea foam into the carb wouldn’t have any effect on-a lifter but unless it was an intake valve I don’t see where it would have any effect on the valve,seems like it just fixed itself by letting it run

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The issue was the intake valve being sticky. The seam foam into and past the carb loosened it up to run freely. Lifters had not issues just sticky intake valve.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts