Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The other day while out for a ride,, my 85' interstate developed a strange noise???? seemed to come from the left side valve assy. sounded like a clacking that lasted about 3or4 secondsthen went away.... seems to run fine ...does anyone have any ideas,, there is aprox. 130,000 KM.on the meter

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

First thing I'd try is to adjust the valve tappet clearences, and while you're in there check for any loose or broken parts. Maybe one of the locknuts came loose.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't believe there are any tappet adjustment screws on the 1985. The only adjustment available for the rockers are the shims. You will need a shim tool and possibly some different shims. This has come up before on the forum, do a search for valve adjusment, shims, valve tool. I'm sure you'll get detailed advice from some of the guys with 1200s soon. Meantime it would be a good idea to obtain a copy of Clymers service manual for you bike, it will help a LOT!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I don't believe there are any tappet adjustment screws on the 1985. The only adjustment available for the rockers are the shims. You will need a shim tool and possibly some different shims. This has come up before on the forum, do a search for valve adjusment, shims, valve tool. I'm sure you'll get detailed advice from some of the guys with 1200s soon. Meantime it would be a good idea to obtain a copy of Clymers service manual for you bike, it will help a LOT!
It's too bad that they went to shims. Another reason to keep my old GL1000 - a 10mm wrench and feeler gauge is all I need to adjust valves!

Rather than getting a Clymer manual, which contains a lot of errors, try to obtain a Honda factory manual. They come up on ebay every so often.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The valves are not adjustable on the GL1200's. The lifters must be shimmed to take up the slack, and they are hydraulic.. I would look for other idications of why the valves seem noisey... There is a small oil orifice in each head on the top center under the cam holder. The head must be removed to access them... It is possible that the orifice is blocked with sludge and the lifters are not getting enough oil...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Gary wrote:
The other day while out for a ride,, my 85' interstate developed a strange noise???? seemed to come from the left side valve assy. sounded like a clacking that lasted about 3or4 secondsthen went away.... seems to run fine ...does anyone have any ideas,, there is aprox. 130,000 KM.on the meter
Sounds like a problem OregonWinger had,search out "valve clatter" in the search box above.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
It's too bad that they went to shims. Another reason to keep my old GL1000 - a 10mm wrench and feeler gauge is all I need to adjust valves!
I'd have to agree I prefer the older style valve adjustment. However the shim and bucket isn't as bad as some of the oldflat heads where you had to grind the ends of the valve stems to set the clearances.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Gary, if the noise went away after a while then you have a sticking lifter. Engine flush may or may not help (if the lifter is worn the oil will drain out) but is a cheap way to try and fix it.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

If it gets to that point, run till noise develops, shut down immediately. Pull offending side's cover. Bump engine over a little at a time, till you find loose adjuster. Years ago, I repaired sticking, (leaking off) lifters with a hammer whack, with it full of light oil. Fixed quite a few that way. Re-seats the check ball. That's just for the adjusters (lifters) that can't be disassembled

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.