Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have just bought a 83 aspencade, the engine starts up and runs perfect but when i go to take off in 1st i get a noise and a vibration for a few seconds until she,s up and running any ideas?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

morr wrote:
i have just bought a 83 aspencade, the engine starts up and runs perfect but when i go to take off in 1st i get a noise and a vibration for a few seconds until she,s up and running any ideas?
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, morr!:waving::waving:

I don't have any ideas at the moment, just wanted to say welcome. You'll have some suggestions soon I expect, keep watching!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey morr :waving:Cead Mile Failte to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: It's nice to see another new member from the sunny south east. :jumper:I cant help you with your problem :stumped:but dont panic one of our experts will soon come along and sort you out. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

morr, welcome to the forum! :waving:

Does it make this sound and vibration when you are lugging the engine? What if you make a more aggressive take off? If the bike hasn't been ridden much in a while it could be oil deposit buildupon the clutch. You can run some (a few ounces) Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil in the crank case to help clean the deposits up. If you are lugging the engine it could be the primary chain making a little noise and vibration, mine does. Not uncommon from what I understand.

How many miles/kilometers on the bike? If the previous owner was hard on it you may need a new clutch. Try the Sea Foam or MMO before assuming it's a bad clutch. It may take a few times of adding the Sea Foam/MMO and changing the oil to completely clean out the clutch plates

Check the drive train for excessive play. Put the bike on the center stand, in 1st gear. Grab the rear wheel and gently move it forward and backward. You should only be able to move it an inch or two. If it moves more than that check the U-joints and the rear end for excessive wear.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Welcome. Chances are good that you have a very common but harmless quirk of 4 cylinder wings. A loose primary chain. This is the chain that connects the crankshaft to the trans. If you lug the engine or if the carbs are unbalanced, clogged or otherwise compromised this chain will make a terrible sound under 1500 - 1700rpm under load. Thisrattleis minimized on a well tuned machine.If your engine is healthy, just give it a few more rpm when you start in 1st. This noise is annoying but harmless.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks to everyone for the welcome, in reply to bob [hi bob] the bike has been idle for 2 years so i will try washing out the crankcase before i panic about the drive chain thanks to all who replied up the deise

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

morr,

Make sure you drain some oil out before you add any Sea Foam or MMO! You don't want to over fill it.

When Iuse Seafoam I add 6 or 7 ounces, run the bike 200-300 miles then change my oil and filter. You may need to do this a couple of times. Or you can try adding more to the crank case. I wouldn't add more than a pint (16oz) though. I have never used MMO but people on here who have, stated they add 1 quart, run it 200-300 miles then change the oil and filter. The more you add, the thinner your oil gets. You can add Seafoam to the fuel tank also, at the ratio of 1oz/gallon. Helps clean up carbs etc.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure you can get Seafoam over there. Maybe someone who knows for sure will post. I'm sure you can get MMO though.

As Dadoo stated, you could just need a carb balance.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

I have found that Goldwings with really old belts have a tendency to make a noise at a lower speed. They get a little stretched and being a bit harder compound when they get older.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi morr. The GL1100 can make a chain type rattle on take-off or sudden accelaration. It's the huge hyvochain that connects the crankshaft to the alternator and clutch. These chains never break. The noise is uaually caused by carburretors that are out of balance, getting them synched will reduce or eliminate the noise.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

thanks to everyone who replied i,m gonna change the cambelts and get the carbs balanced see ya later up the deise

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum. I have an 83 Standard myself and love it!! Let us know what you find out.:goofygrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.