Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello everyone.Thanks for all your help in the past.Now I have another problem.

I just purchased a 1992 Aspencade.Mint condition other than engine noise.Seller

said he was told it could be front bearing in alternator.It's a rattling type noise like something loose.At first start up,but at idling you don't hear it.Tack the rpm's a little and you hear it.This bike has only belonged to two people.Me being the third person.Bike was purchaded new by first owner who put over 160,000 miles on it.The

person I purchased from was having health problems.I am not familiar with this type

problem.If it needs an alternator I can deal with that.No problem.But should I be looking for some other problem?Thank you in advance for your help.And I hope all are having a great day.James

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

It could very well be the rear bearing of the alternator that is making the noise. They can and do go dry and start to rattle and squeal. They can become so bad that they will actually start to turn in the case. Hopefully yours has not reached that level. It is easily replaceable and at the same time, install a new set of brushes. Either do it yourself of take the whole unit to an electric starter/generator repair shop.

Probably a good time to replace the rubber drive dampeners at the same time, as these become hard and brittle over time, which leads to other odd noises.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks,Hawker22,for your quick response.I knew someone would have an answer.You people have been very helpful in
the past.One thing I didn't mention in my first post,the seller said he just changed oil with synthetic.I have read a lot of treads on this subject,pro's and con's.Just thought I would add that thought,I didn't think at the time to ask if he had the noise before this.I was too accited to make the deal,that might be a mistake for me later.thanks,James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.